BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > World Championships
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

World Championships 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlas_shrugged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 10:19am
A cracking World Championship 2018. Thanks very much to all the organisers for a great job well done.

Thanks also to Jeff for all the photos.

The displays were brilliant and thanks to: ICE, Mikes bikes display, and to Geoff Birds display.

I am very much looking forward to the coverage by the excellent Laidback Bike Report who get the prize for distance travelled all the way over from the US/Germany to cover the event.
russellbridge View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 4:30pm
Sorry I couldn't be there - thanks for the great photos Jeff.
This is my favourite:

"my chainring's this big..."  LOL

Edited by russellbridge - 19 July 2018 at 4:30pm
ChrisH View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 4:48pm
Nice pic. I can see the "A" but where's the Y, M and C??
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 9:52pm
"When I get the wax right it comes out the here..."

atlas_shrugged View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote atlas_shrugged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2018 at 10:52pm
So WC2018 has hit Sky Sport News - at least on German TV.

There was some great drone footage provided by the Laidback Bike Report. There was also an interview with Charles Henry and some great shots.

Trick Cyclist View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trick Cyclist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 11:14am
I can't remember if we gave our birth years in when we entered the championship, because I would be really interested in a plot of year of birth against speed in the one hour time trial. After all at my age I would expect to not keep up with whippersnappers of 35...... Ideally colour coded for which class was entered.

Geoff
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 11:18am
Age is just a number... Wink

Aerodynamics wins every time.

Mike is 75.
Slash is 117.

Big smile

Trick Cyclist View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trick Cyclist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 1:23pm
I think there is a picture of Dorian Slash hidden at BHPC headquarters.....

Geoff
atlas_shrugged View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlas_shrugged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 10:59am
Below is a google translate from the German velomobile forum by one of the race leaders. I found it interesting and especially the data. Maybe Geoff would like to publish a better translation in the BHPC magazine:

I wrote out my performance data:
 (for explanation: Pav average performance incl. zero values,)

100 meter sprint (Flying Start):
 Vmax: 72.2 km / h (= official result)
 Pav: 276 watts
 P without_results: 350 watts
 Pmax: 634 watts
 1 lap time trial:
 Vmax: 37.89 km / h (= official measurement should rather be 60.93 km / h?)
 <no SRM measurement>

1-H-criterium:
 Vav: 62.61 km / h (= official result)
 Pav: 206 watts
 P without_nulls: 261 watts
 Pmax: 888 watts

15-min Criterium:
 Vav: 60.78 km / h
 Pav: 228 watts
 P without_results: 289 watts
 Pmax: 775 watts

3-H-Endurance
 Vav: 56.18 km / h (= official result)
 Pav: 156 watts
 P without_nulls: 192 watts
 Pmax: 815 watts

My SRM data clearly shows that I did not have to go to my performance limit and could not because of the many curves (and many HPVs in the 3 hour race).  Especially in the hourly criterion sprints and short periods of idle alternated.
 Steve Slade also impressed me a lot.  In the 3-hour race he has overtaken me despite his own lightning start (thanks to Jonathan Woolrich for the jump start) in the fifth lap and immediately accelerated the pace to shake me off.  He almost succeeded in doing so when I was suddenly caught in the fastest UV / TV and made a slight mistake.  Fortunately, Sandro had told me that Steve sometimes can not keep up with the pace in long races.  That gave me courage.  I really wanted to win and still not risk too much.  On the forest straight in front of the hairpin bend, I had Steve back in sight, but at over 62km / h was already very fast for the windy curve that precedes the hairpin bend - and then this white VM in front of me, the battle line drove and in the hairpin bend constantly pushed to the outside.  Although I could avoid a touch, but I had to put in a lot of powerful, which quit the PoB with a slight vibration - I had arrived harmless in the dark orange border area and the road I did not go out.  For the next half hour, I tried out some variations of distinct curve lines behind Steve.  It occurred to me that a wide round line is often faster than a small radius.  The large number of opponents required absolute concentration: overtake now?  left or right?  before or after the curve?  Who slows loses and who does not slow down even more - Burnout Paradise in the woods.
 After an hour and a half Steve got stuck in a group.  I knew that was the moment to attack.  34 MPH showed the sign at the finish line;  The 450 watts I pulled through to the top.  Nevertheless I was not sure about the lack of rearview mirror until I had checked whether I had actually left it ...

Some observations / considerations
 - Better to put on new tires before than during the race.  (which I have done) - because: 2.5 hours Monza enough to scalp a Erlkönig in the 30 ° -45 ° range)
 - The PoB is, even at rel.  strong wind with some exercise and adjacent shoulder pads mobile.
 - Streamliner like PoB or Beano win the races against three-wheeled (!) Velomobile not only on the straights, but also in the corners, because the VM behind always slip away a bit, as I could watch well.

To event
 That the BHPA and its members are a committed group of experienced HPV enthusiasts, you can already see on their website, the T-shirts, or the beautifully designed racing documentary.  The location Betteshanger Park is just terrific.  Everything close together and even a simple restaurant on the square.
 Five races on three days were not only a challenge for the participants, but also for the organizers.  Unfortunately, the results of the individual races could not be communicated in a timely manner.  Thanks to video, stop-watches and goodwill on the part of the organizers, the timing problems were finally resolved to everyone's satisfaction.
 Thanks BHPA for this wonderfull inspiring HPV World Championship
 carbono

Edited by atlas_shrugged - 22 July 2018 at 11:03am
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 3:34pm
Is that Daniel Fenn? It's probably overheating that slows Steve down. I didn't see any signs of that in the 3 hour though.

Roy

Edited by RoyMacdonald - 22 July 2018 at 3:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic