BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > For Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Windcheetah info

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeldomSeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windcheetah info
    Posted: 28 July 2019 at 11:25am
Dear BHPC folk -

I'm going to take a look at the a club sport (2007 i've been told, number 780 something) just down the road, which was refurbished by Mr Burrows himself around 4 years ago and hardly ridden since. Would much appreciate any input on what to look out for and check etc. I've previously owned a Baron, and currently have a Metabike high racer, but never owned or even ridden a trike before. Have read lots about the limited sizing adjustment; our xseams appear compatible, so we will see? Many thanks.

PS - If i needed to take some bits off for transport, are any special tools needed? I built both bents from the frame up, so have most tools.
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2019 at 12:27pm
You can make them shorter, but not longer - They can be shortened by removing the bottom bracket casting, chopping the tube and then bonding the casting on again. 
So it it's a bit too long it's not the end of the world. If it's too short with the seat right back then walk away...
Some find the seat comfy, others don't. I like them.
Most of the bits that will wear out are just normal cycle components - Kevin at D-Tek carries any other parts you are likely to need and is a great bloke and always very helpful...

SeldomSeen View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeldomSeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2019 at 5:19pm
Thanks Alan - Kevin is just down the road from me.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2019 at 5:21pm
Thumbs Up

Wobbly John View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wobbly John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2019 at 9:39pm
Wincheetahs are not paricularly easy to take apart much because of the way the back wheel works. The seat and front wheels are about as much as you can strip down. You can't do much about making it any shorter.

I'm not sure if the newer ones use different fittings, but both seat and hubs are nutted on mine (I think the seat is imperial sized)

My wincheetah is about as big as they made, and without the seat, it will just fit in a Ford Fiesta (as long as you don't want to use 1st or 2nd gear...)

I'm just over the border in Cambridgeshire, BTW.

http://xntrick.co.uk
lohezm View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lohezm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2019 at 10:53am
A bit longer I found is actually a benefit - you can then drill a couple more holes in the seat and get really flat. Otherwise keeps your eyes peeled for a VTX – loved my speedy but the VTX has it beat in almost all respects.
D.TEK View Drop Down
Visitor (regular)
Visitor (regular)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D.TEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2019 at 10:26pm
Just for the record I sourced and supplied that Windcheetah to a TV production company .
It was immaculate and very low mileage when I delivered to Mr Burrows ( I have pictures on file ) 
A sister machine was also supplied . It was a perfect example  and has since been returned to D.TEK .
Mike actually changed the "brand new tyres" which were rather "trick" Dahon supplied  Duranos 20"and Michelin 559 slick rears .
The Cranks were modified to 340mm long *( that line was popped in just to see if your awake ) 
As you would expect Mike B opted  to shorten the cranks . 
To the best of my knowledge that's all that was done at the Rackheath works 
I have the full and complete history for both machines 
Hope that helps ……...….Kevin D

D.TEK HPVS purveyors of recumbent trikes and cycles
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2019 at 10:34pm
Ah! Thanks Kevin - You may well see it here then... https://www.channel4.com/programmes/speed-with-guy-martin/on-demand/58642-001

D.TEK View Drop Down
Visitor (regular)
Visitor (regular)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D.TEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2019 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by lohezm lohezm wrote:

A bit longer I found is actually a benefit - you can then drill a couple more holes in the seat and get really flat. Otherwise keeps your eyes peeled for a VTX – loved my speedy but the VTX has it beat in almost all respects.

ICE works have just popped a 2015 White VTX ex Demo and show machine on EBAY 
 (history .…. only 1000 carefull owners from new !"£$"£$%67 ) 
So it has a few warts and nibbles and scuffs ......….all of course declared 
I think the biddings has gone from 99p to £1600 plus within 24 hours 
with interest from around the world .
What do you think it will achieve ?
Place your bets now for the winning bid
D.TEK View Drop Down
Visitor (regular)
Visitor (regular)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D.TEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2019 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by AlanGoodman AlanGoodman wrote:

Ah! Thanks Kevin - You may well see it here then... https://www.channel4.com/programmes/speed-with-guy-martin/on-demand/58642-001

Yes both trikes and Guy M and chum were sent to Portsmouth Uni for "Hot house" training 
In the film you will see what appears to be water on the floor ?? 
In fact it was "Sweat" ………..bucket loads !
But also shows just how much research and preparation and planning pre the record attempt .
A great program  to watch ……
Thanks Alan for the link …….Cheers KD 

Edited by D.TEK - 16 August 2019 at 10:45pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic