BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Any Other Business
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Windcheetah Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windcheetah Help
    Posted: 22 January 2018 at 2:11pm
Hello All,
I've located and made initial contact with the seller of an older Windcheetah. I've been searching for quite sometime. It's difficult to find one over here in general, add the proper size and being close enough to pick up.

I had a quick text with the seller and the size does seem to be good, we're the same height at least.
In the for sale ad, he noted the manufacturer  as "The Seat of the Pants Company".  From what I've been able to find out they built for Mike Burrows, before Bob Dixon bought them.  Is this correct?  I'm waiting for the seller to get to me the SN, he was not home at the time. Pity I could probably see it in the pictures but the tiller is covering the plate.

It's not close enough for me to just pop over and inspect and try it, it will be an 8 hour round trip. It appears to be in pretty good condition in the pictures, other then some rust on the BB spindle.
Any help as to what to look for when I do get to see it and perhaps some help on identifying it?

I've included a link to the for sale ad with pictures

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/d/for-sale/6428698284.html

Thanks 
Best Regards
Jim Smith
Upstate NY
skypilot View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2018 at 5:33pm
Serial number 358
GeoffBird View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GeoffBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2018 at 8:00pm
I'm fairly sure Seat of the Pants was what Bob Dixon's company was called when he was selling a wider range than just Windcheetahs.
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
skypilot View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2018 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by GeoffBird GeoffBird wrote:

I'm fairly sure Seat of the Pants was what Bob Dixon's company was called when he was selling a wider range than just Windcheetahs.

You're right. I found a screen capture on the Wayback Machine archives from 1999. It does state there Mike Burrows designer and Robert Dixon, Seat of the Pants.  There's links to Seat of the Pants there also.

Thanks.
D.TEK View Drop Down
Visitor (regular)
Visitor (regular)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote D.TEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2018 at 9:36pm
Windcheetahs are great fun and just like a race horse from Newmarket 
They go like the wind can be scatty as hell and be prepared for high vet bills !
So could make a wonderfull addition to your recumbent stable .
Its a seat of the pants built by Bob Dixon 
With the gas pipe joint style Y section handle bar control mounting 
Note the Moulton wheel size which is somewhat restricted on tyre choice 
and novice riders can kill Moulton rubber in less than 400 miles .
Most newbie owners  go mad doing doughnuts and tighter turns ( "is that a front wheel in the air " )
Check the underside of the main frame for rubs and scuffs and off-road frame damage 
Kingpins can wear and steering joints are race weight and can also wear .
Brakes are " Bomb proof " ......sorry forgot your over the Atlantic
bad bad bad common British phrase  *spellcheck suggests replace with "  very durable "! 
Look to see if the chain has jumped off and attempted to saw the cross tube on the underside .
If the nylon chain pulley appears to have cogs or teeth ...its knacked ...
The four rubber bonded seat mounts can degrade ....or break in half .
Easy fix with British MINI car  exhaust mounts (imperial thread ) 
Most parts are replaceable if and when required .
All the main castings are glue bonded ....some early Dixon built WC failed due to poor machining 
and often Bob blamed the glue ....so look out for re-glue repairs and any strange roll pins or bolts or screws and repainted castings .
If you require further advice ...just ask 
I sold them brand new in the 90's until Bob Dixon decide to sell factory direct .
Since then I have traded in used models and provided owners with another source of spares and parts 

Regards Kevin D 
D.TEK HPVS purveyors of recumbent trikes and cycles
skypilot View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2018 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by D.TEK D.TEK wrote:

Windcheetahs are great fun and just like a race horse from Newmarket 
They go like the wind can be scatty as hell and be prepared for high vet bills !
So could make a wonderfull addition to your recumbent stable .
Its a seat of the pants built by Bob Dixon 
With the gas pipe joint style Y section handle bar control mounting 
Note the Moulton wheel size which is somewhat restricted on tyre choice 
and novice riders can kill Moulton rubber in less than 400 miles .
Most newbie owners  go mad doing doughnuts and tighter turns ( "is that a front wheel in the air " )
Check the underside of the main frame for rubs and scuffs and off-road frame damage 
Kingpins can wear and steering joints are race weight and can also wear .
Brakes are " Bomb proof " ......sorry forgot your over the Atlantic
bad bad bad common British phrase  *spellcheck suggests replace with "  very durable "! 
Look to see if the chain has jumped off and attempted to saw the cross tube on the underside .
If the nylon chain pulley appears to have cogs or teeth ...its knacked ...
The four rubber bonded seat mounts can degrade ....or break in half .
Easy fix with British MINI car  exhaust mounts (imperial thread ) 
Most parts are replaceable if and when required .
All the main castings are glue bonded ....some early Dixon built WC failed due to poor machining 
and often Bob blamed the glue ....so look out for re-glue repairs and any strange roll pins or bolts or screws and repainted castings .
If you require further advice ...just ask 
I sold them brand new in the 90's until Bob Dixon decide to sell factory direct .
Since then I have traded in used models and provided owners with another source of spares and parts 

Regards Kevin D 

Thanks Kevin!  My first thought was to PM you:-)
So it has the old Moulton size wheels then?  I asked the seller, he was at work and wasn't sure, he's supposed to get back to me.  I thought it strange he doesn't know something like that.  
I'm going to have to make room in the garage for it, probably the TNT will have to go.  Micro, GTX, and the S are keepers.  
Thanks again for your help.
PS "Bomb proof" = "Bullet proof" over here.
Regards
Jim

Edited by skypilot - 23 January 2018 at 8:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic