BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Any Other Business
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Windcheetah FRO (for race only)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Visitor (regular)
Visitor (regular)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D.TEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windcheetah FRO (for race only)
    Posted: 19 January 2018 at 11:33am
Windcheetah FRO (for race only) 
The maker KS claimed in press release material .....
"this is all about speed.
An evolution of the HyperSport,
The Windcheetah F.R.O. (For Race Only) has been further refined
To shave an extra 1/6 of weight – almost 2kg from the HyperSport.Every component on the F.R.O. has been custom refined by handTo save every gram possible, with bespoke chassis carbon weave for a no compromise race machine " 

A few machines have been built and delivered to owners Wink

The owners and customers who are still waiting .

Appear to have plans to use this model on the open road ?

So were they advised that this model is not just a pure racetrack machine but is roadworthy ?

Big claims made about the weight reduction ....how has this been achieved ??

The Groupset shown at Spezi 2017 was middle of the road and the chain mid range 

The seat shell appears to be wet fibre glass inner and carbon weave outer as used on "standard" WC 

So that suggests "mock " carbon ..........all looks and no go .Confused

What sort of seat cushion has been used ( Ventist) are super comfortable but actually not that light compared to thin foam rubber .

Catrike 700 and ICE VTX are completely open about "On the road"  weights .

Can anyone on BHPC confirm the "true" weight and key facts or is the WC FRO pure fiction ?

D.TEK HPVS purveyors of recumbent trikes and cycles
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2018 at 10:38pm
I've never seen one to be honest...
Sadly I very much doubt we're going to see any more new Windcheetahs now, FRO or otherwise... Cry

mark aldridge View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark aldridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2018 at 12:22pm
Hello all.

Regarding FRO weights.

My FRO has a front fairing and tailbox mounted so I am unable to supply a naked weight but as soon as my broken collar bone is mended I will lift it up and weigh it.

All I can say is it is considerably lighter than my old semi-Hypersport Windcheetah but that has racks/bottles/lights mounted. The FRO climbs and rolls along much better, but that might just be new machine syndrome. I specified it built up to be a usable all-year and all-road machine with large sprockets and a compact triple chainset so the weight is not as low as it could be.

In all honesty my trikes are rated by how much I enjoy riding them rather than chasing a low weight. It is all very well for those who live in flat sunny climes but January riding on the Hampshire Downs injects a bit of realism.

I must have done 1000+ miles on the FRO and so far it has lived up to my expectations. The main issue is that the ligher weight and race tyres have resulted in a more nervous handling on bumpy downhills. This is NOT a complaint but at times I miss the more planted feel of my old machine.

As it stands it is well worth the money I paid for it. I will be using it more as the weather improves and will report back on any issues.

Currently it has one major advantage over most other trikes on the market, with a little care I can ride it with my arm in a sling.

Bye for now.

Mark

Edited by mark aldridge - 20 January 2018 at 12:42pm
Dragonfly View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragonfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2018 at 9:40pm
The FRO on display at SPEZI 2017 was allegedly mine.  The order was placed for full DuraAce components, as an upgrade from Ultegra specified on the website.  I noticed in photos that it had an Ultegra RD and mentioned that to Karl.  He claimed he still needed to swap out a few parts prior to shipping it to me.   (which was supposed to happen shortly after SPEZI)  

Karl and I had discussed the "for race only" aspect prior to my ordering, as he knew I rode on local trails and roads, not racetracks.  He sent me photos of the previous FRO with blue castings that he'd made, but claimed mine was "even lighter".  (don't know if that was due to smaller frame size, components or ??)

Mark, I hope your collar bone is healing quickly!  I like reading your comments about experiences with the new FRO (living vicariously through your rides and feeling sad I'm not able to do the same).  Good to know you're getting lots of miles on it! 

Now if only someone could get their hands on my elusive FRO, wherever it might be, and send it my way.....  Cry

Robin
trsnrtr View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trsnrtr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2018 at 1:56pm
I feel for you, Robin.  We all await some sort of closure.  So cruel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic