BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Any Other Business
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Wider Acceptance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Visitor (moderated)
Visitor (moderated)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdp298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2017 at 10:23am
I've raced a couple of times, but I'm not a regular, or a member. I'm a commuter on my Cruzbike and generally interested in where recumbents are going other than eternal periphery, hence the discussion here. I'm not sure what the overall sense of the necessary or possible is, so I thought I'd poke the idea in and see what happens.

The 2 strands I see as worthwhile are
1. For the current community's benefit, which is acceptance into more events in various ways
2. To spread the idea to the wider world more effectively. The longer term benefits being increased pace of development, (sort of) mass production and better prices all round.

AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2017 at 10:36am
I agree with Ian...

Neil F View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2017 at 5:52pm
Picking up the 2 strands:
1. we should target specific organisations. British Cycling and CTT would seem to be top of the list. British Cycling is tax payer funded - yes we all pay for it! A first toe hold would IMHO be highlighting their discrimination against not-fully-able riders. Those who want to race at local club level but cannot due to some injury. Why are they banned from even participating?
2. For publicity, WE need to get articles out to the press (and yes I'm guilty too). LEL on recumbent/in velomobile in the Cycling UK (formerly CTC) magazine?

Finally, whever someone gives "insurance" as a reason please try to find out who provides the insurance. I know many people in commercial insurance in London and I wiil see what I can do to change the insurance aspect, if that is not just a smoke screen.
Yanto View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2017 at 7:01am
But you can join British Cycling and ride a recumbent and have their 3rd party insurance.

What is the way forward? Bashing away on keyboard for a forum read by a handful of people won't achieve anything.  
Ian, retired.
atlas_shrugged View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlas_shrugged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2017 at 8:14am
> What is the way forward?

Lee has written a provisional letter and this is now with the committee to edit and the suggestion is to send this to local CTT reps. They can take this to their CTT AGM. We have two strong arguments to make with them: TT cycles are dangerous because they look down on the road, and HPVs are often safer because of the fairings protecting the rider.

With BC Neil's suggestion sounds very good. If they are a public funded body they can not exclude a disabled racer from entering their events.

I also think Neil's suggestion about insurance is a good one. Another trip to Lea Valley?

Edited by atlas_shrugged - 28 August 2017 at 8:25am
jdp298 View Drop Down
Visitor (moderated)
Visitor (moderated)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdp298 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2018 at 9:19pm
Bump!

I'm going to re-start this for 2 reasons.
1. Did we get any feedback from the CTT reps to our letter?

2. Something else might be starting, which is a long game but is [kind of] linked to this topic.
http://safercycling.org - http://safercycling.org

It starts with the idea that since forever [1934] the design of the bike hasn't changed for safety reasons. So how do we test and quantify what's good and what's not?

Bit more of an explanation here at 1:09.20   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGpUPNYcLXM&t=3353s - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGpUPNYcLXM&t=3353s

Edited by jdp298 - 25 February 2018 at 8:52pm
Gromit View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gromit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2018 at 9:03am
Originally posted by jdp298 jdp298 wrote:

Bump!

I'm going to re-start this for 2 reasons.
1. Did we get any feedback from the CTT reps to our letter?

2. Something else might be starting, which is a long game but is [kind of] linked to this topic.
http://safercycling.org - http://safercycling.org

It starts with the idea that since forever [1934] the design of the bike hasn't changed for safety reasons. So how do we test and quantify what's good and what's not?

Bit more of an explanation here at 1:09.20   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGpUPNYcLXM&t=3353s - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGpUPNYcLXM&t=3353s

Edited by Gromit - 27 February 2018 at 11:25am
atlas_shrugged View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlas_shrugged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2018 at 9:59am
1) The position paper that Lee wrote for the BHPC has just been sent to the East reps of the CTT. We have not had a response yet. Please if anyone would like to also do this with their local CTT reps please ask for a copy of the position paper from the BHPC secretary or myself.

2) The safercycling.org is a very good idea. It would surely be in the interests of insurance companies to put money into safety testing to make cycling safer. This could be another thread for recumbent cyclists to persue with insurance companies. The main advantages for recumbent cyclists being that they look forward on the road rather than down and that they have better crash protection. Possible concerns are that they are lower which may mean they are more difficult to see but then there is less distance to fall.

Edited by atlas_shrugged - 27 February 2018 at 10:00am
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2018 at 1:31pm
I got Sport England to agree to give the club a grant back in 1997 but as I was not a committee member it needed one to sign the paper application form and I gave it to the committee only for it to be completely ignored. Seemed like a foot in the door to me. I know we would all rather build and ride rather than do paperwork but......

Roy 
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2018 at 4:18pm
Really?? No idea who was on the committee then but that sounds like a big opportunity missed.
I know we looked at getting funding when we hosted the World Championships in 2008 - In fact that is why the club has a constitution. It didn't have one at the time and needed one to apply for the funding, so one was written (amid many arguments about the content) at that time...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic