BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Building
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Ventilation in fully enclosed HPVs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runcyclexcski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:29pm
Here is a Finnish dude with a Quest riding in the rain and other kinds of sh*tty weather. He is complaining about the visibility. Windscreen wipers?

Also... as a biochemist, I would probably apply silicon fluorinated repellent before each rainy ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o4T9pjDl-0
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:40pm
in those conditions I'd definitely prefer to use the little flyscreen and probably use the cockpit cover that just leaves my head sticking out (although I don't use that very often either - it's usually fine just open). 
Number 47
runcyclexcski View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runcyclexcski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 1:47pm
The same Finnish chap with the Quest mentioned that biking in 10 m/s side winds (36 kmh) was quite sketchy. This is Findland, so, they do have some tree protection, and a relatively protected route can be found. In the UK, there are basically no trees.

Are there any design points that could be implemented to increase the stability in high winds? Even something high-tech, like active balancing/steering? Make them even smaller and even closer to the ground (but they are already barely visible)? Jet planes manage to handle side winds, and yet they are low density, too (e.g. they float on water).
GeoffBird View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 2:18pm
With respect to crosswinds, When you are travelling at 800 kph the wind vector angle is a bit less than when travelling at 80 kph! Smile

We have lots of trees in Oxfordshire, UK.

I'd be interested to know if the QuattroVelo (4 wheels) is more stable than the Quest (3 wheels) in crosswinds.
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runcyclexcski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 3:32pm
The point about the vector nails it. Indeed, for a plane travelling at 800 kmh a side toss by a 80 kmh gust may not matter... and there are no other planes within a mile to bump into. May be I should research baby Cessna planes instead, e.g. whether people bother to fly them at 40-80 kmh winds.

Suppose the VPH could ***tilt*** into the side wind. I guess, the feedback would need to be very fast to respond to gusts, otherwise as soon as the gust is over you tip over on the wrong side.

Four wheels is another point: are they more stable?

Wider tires for more grip?

All of the above would obviously be taxing in terms of speed, for sure, but could be offset by power-assist if it's too annoying and slow.
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runcyclexcski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 9:45pm
Assuming that a 4-wheel velomobile would be more resistant to cross-winds, how about an 'extreme' negative camber on all 4 wheels to reduce side-surface area and get wider footprint and better cornering. Not sure about the benefit of camber on a trike, since the two cambered wheels would be trying to turn inwards and 'fight' each other, but with 4 wheels it should be less squirrely. Here is an image of a dorky tuner ride.

The topic is slipping from ventilation to sidewind stability.
atlas_shrugged View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlas_shrugged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 9:42pm
For a definitive video of riding velos in freezing fog have a look at these links:

Oliebollentocht 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE9NzijQgv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3oTpAeNt7o

http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk/oliebollentocht-2016/

I would say that riding opened top (no hood) in freezing conditions (also with fog) is fine in a velo. After a few minutes you are warm enough and if I had a visor or hood it would be a nightmare to demist.

What I definitely do not like when riding open top is heavy rain, light rain is OK.

BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runcyclexcski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 11:36pm
Thank you for the great videos! As suggested above, an open top, plus a hat, would be OK.

I mean, of one goes fast enough and is strong enough to generate 250W for hours, one automatically gets 750W of "your own... personal.... Jesus/heater", adrenalin rushes in, and then you do not care about the rain,sleet etc. I used to run in shorts in those temps... 15-20 years ago. Need some coziness now, I guess...
legs_larry View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 10:25am
I saw a piece the other day which said that those maple syrup drenched cleverness dispensers at Aerovelo were looking into ways of using the waste heat, but I expect we'll have to wait for Eta v2.0 to see anything.
====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runcyclexcski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 6:29pm
I sure have seen Aerovelo's helicopter videos.

I can see how the waste heat can be used for heating, but to use it cooling... This comes to mind, but such devices do not look lightweight!

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/423466/using-heat-to-cool-buildings/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic