BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Building
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Velcro fastenings for fairings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woolly Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Velcro fastenings for fairings
    Posted: 03 June 2019 at 10:01am
Velcro does seem to be a great way of securing light and removeable bits to your bike like fairing pods etc but did you know the self adhesive part is water soluble? 

Little bit of rain and all the sticky goes forever so if you want to use it, sew it on or use a different bonding mechanism. 

I found out the hard way on Saturday and since the original design had velcro fastening to the seat that was providing triangulation to the rear fairing mountings, without it we had fundamental structural failure of the fairing and now it's time for new one. Not relying on velcro next time.
Ross Low Racer 77 - beware of unexpected changes of direction
Yanto View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Yanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2019 at 3:05pm
I've had velcro that has survived many years in the open, the trick is when applying (apart from clean, oil and dust free surface) is to use a hot air gun until the glue is bubbling, then quickly apply. If it's on correx you'll need to burn the surface first to get rid of the oils or whatever it exudes!
Ian, racing again No 6.
Woolly Hat View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woolly Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2019 at 3:18pm
Ian, thanks for that advice. Wouldn't have thought of a heatgun first but I'll definitely try it. 

Any suggestions other than hot glue for fastening correx together? I was thinking of trim tape but there must be some sort of glue that will stick it. Or is correx one of these plastics where you have to weld it together with a solvent?
Ross Low Racer 77 - beware of unexpected changes of direction
Yanto View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2019 at 5:12pm
I used to use duct tape on correx, it worked pretty well if a bit rough! I know others have used hot glue with correx and it been ok, but I never had much success, again it's getting rid of that coating on correx.

If you search on you tube for gluing correx or coroflute there are a few methods trialled.
Ian, racing again No 6.
blogwat View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blogwat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2019 at 5:34pm
You could try cable ties .
when your up to your waist in aligators they forget to tell you you've got to clear the swamp
Kim View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2019 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Yanto Yanto wrote:

I know others have used hot glue with correx and it been ok, but I never had much success, again it's getting rid of that coating on correx.

I've found it's mostly about using the right type of glue sticks; you need one that's designed to work on polypropylene. The regular crafting stuff does a passable impression of sticking, then breaks off cleanly when you're not paying attention.

I've had good results sticking correx with Tecbond 261, though it still isn't rated for outdoor use.
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2019 at 4:23pm
Lee W says that the hot glue sticks Screwfix sell worked well on his Fujin fairing (still in one piece). There is a glue tape that I think 3M sells especially for correx as well to reinforce the joints.

Roy

Edited by RoyMacdonald - 04 June 2019 at 4:25pm
BarneyH View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BarneyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2019 at 6:05pm
For Correx hot glue gun works well but its worth paying the extra £20 or so for a really good one e.g. Bosch that takes the big 11mm sticks - using these guns you can get the glue hot enough to partially melt into the correx for almost a plastic weld.  

I've used different sticks from all sorts of suppliers and all my correx fairings have survived many years and some heavy crashes.  

If you want to make the joints look neater use the 50mm insulating tape from Screwfix it has a certain degree of stretch to get round complex curves and joints.
Kim View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2019 at 7:01pm
+1 for proper glue guns. The sort of thing that's got some real power and thermostatic regulation, rather than a sufficiently weedy heater that it can't overheat.

I bought a decent one one when my cheapo craft one died purely because the bulk of my hot-gluing is random one-off things like electronics repairs where I don't really want to have to stop and wait for ages for the glue gun to heat up. Having done a couple of bigger jobs since, I haven't regretted it.

While we're on the subject of hot glue, top tip: If you fill your cleat bolt heads with it when new, you can pick the plug out thousands of miles later to reveal an undamaged surface that the allen key will engage with properly, so you can replace the cleats without resorting to drilling or harsh language.
ChrisH View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ChrisH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2019 at 10:17pm
thin cable ties work really well (and, unlike glue guns, there's less time pressure to get pieces properly aligned before they stick). The correx tailfairings I used to race on my Raptobike were made using these (about one every 8-10 inches to join panels together) with internal carrying capacity for several kilos of luggage so they double up as cheapskate panniers which have been in regular service since they were built 4 years ago. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic