BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > BHPC Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

2020 Round 4: Gravesend Sun 20 Sep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Kim View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2020 Round 4: Gravesend Sun 20 Sep
    Posted: 23 September 2020 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by david.lhostis david.lhostis wrote:

Thanks for this great event. The video of the slow races is here: https://youtu.be/wu1x64WpozE
(It is not currently searcheable)

Lovely video, really captures the spirit of the event.  (And it answers my question about which handcyclist stopped with the brake problem.)
tincanracer View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tincanracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2020 at 7:40pm
Just wanted to add the thanks of Rob and myself to the Time Team. All very efficient and far better, from the BHPC perspective, than people trying to pay for racing on the day with large denomination notes and then signing on in illegible handwritting. Not much good will come out of this pandemic but it seems we have a much better way of running race meetings. Sorry if stopping for a tea break half way through long races confuses the system, we need a pensioner button Smile

Stuart

Laid Back in Spirit
david.lhostis View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote david.lhostis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2020 at 6:06pm
Thanks for this great event. The video of the slow races is here: https://youtu.be/wu1x64WpozE
(It is not currently searcheable)

Edited by GeoffBird - 06 November 2020 at 5:37pm
http://ccgi.lhostis.plus.com/sport.php Optima baron XLow + M5 Sandwich fairing
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2020 at 2:30pm
Great to have lots more youngsters around at the events! That's something we've lacked for a long time.
William Tulett is going very well on his ICE Trike.

Very nice to see Alice racing at last - Chris will need to recruit a new cheer-leader!!

Brilliant to see the enthusiasm shown by the Trinity Zoomers… They're already asking for next year's dates and Nina is threatening to race herself!!

Kim View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2020 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by brianday brianday wrote:

I must say I was blown away by the hard work and friendliness of everyone at the event. Brilliant to see such different vehicles and riders all having fun together and being supportive and helpful to others.
Thank you to the organisers and also to all the participants and thankyou for Team Trinity for cheering me up the hill on Saturday

Good to have you with us.  And the HPVelotechnik contingent.  And especially the Trinity Zoomers.  Things would have been a lot less ORANGE without your respective contributions.  Thumbs Up

Edited by Kim - 21 September 2020 at 12:28pm
Kim View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2020 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Andrew S Andrew S wrote:

Yes, good work Kim Thumbs Up

The shortage of skilled operatives at Gravesend meant that this was the first event we've done without the safety-net of stopwatches and manual finish orders, or even a video camera on Sunday (entirely my fault). Apart from the possibility of losing power to the tag-reading box I think we now have a completely reliable system.

...Assuming, of course, that people make it past the sign-on stage.

I was very pleased with how well CrossMgr performs when it knows exactly who is and isn't in which race.  It means there's very little we need to do to babysit it other than make sure everyone's tags are working and keep track of when people stop during a race (so it doesn't mistake a long lap for a missed tag-read).

There's also lot to be said for being able to sort out all the new timing tags in advance of the race.  It's the sort of thing that's reasonably straightforward when you do it at home with an accurate list, a screen you can read properly and no wind to blow the tags away when you place them on the reader.  I dread to think how long it would have taken to sort all the new tags for Darley Moor if we'd had to do it on the day.  And we can't set up for the race while we're writing tags.  It also makes things easier for new riders if they know their race number in advance, so they aren't having to do cutting and sticking trackside.

And time trial mode is pleasingly efficient.  It's just a shame that we can't use the RFID tags for it unless we either keep everyone out of range of the aerials before their turn (impractical on most tracks), or run strictly to a published list of start times (which would be beautifully automated, but not very BHPCish).
brianday View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2020 at 10:51am
I must say I was blown away by the hard work and friendliness of everyone at the event. Brilliant to see such different vehicles and riders all having fun together and being supportive and helpful to others.
Thank you to the organisers and also to all the participants and thankyou for Team Trinity for cheering me up the hill on Saturday
Brian D
Andrew S View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2020 at 9:47am
Yes, good work Kim Thumbs Up

The shortage of skilled operatives at Gravesend meant that this was the first event we've done without the safety-net of stopwatches and manual finish orders, or even a video camera on Sunday (entirely my fault). Apart from the possibility of losing power to the tag-reading box I think we now have a completely reliable system.

Edited by Andrew S - 21 September 2020 at 9:48am
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2020 at 12:02am
Many thanks for all your efforts this weekend Kim!
You are a star.

Kim View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2020 at 11:57pm

The 2020 season points table has been updated accordingly.

Again, let me know if you spot anything dodgy.

I'd particularly like it if anyone could confirm who the handcyclist was that stopped to fettle a brake problem in the 90 minute slow race.  Philip Carter (179) has a 12:36 lap that looks likely...

*THUNK*  zZzZ

Edited by Kim - 20 September 2020 at 11:58pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic