BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Riding > Etc
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Getting to the NW of Scotland

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
nmm View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting to the NW of Scotland
    Posted: 01 May 2017 at 7:09pm
I want to tour north-west Scotland shortly on my recumbent trike, starting from Cambridge. This is large but foldable, and I would be taking about 50 Kg in three items, all of which are very awkward. I would MUCH rather not drive, but can't work out the train possibilities. Essentially, I have three questions:

Can I get to Inverness on Virgin Trains East Coast (i.e. do both legs have guards' vans?)

What is the secondary route from Inverness to Lairg like? Cyclestreets and a map indicates that it should be possible, avoiding the main A-roads. But, obviously, psychle farcilities and (worse) steps are infeasible. It looks as if it might take me two days.

How easy is it to find accommodation on spec. in late May / early June? I really don't want to have to book ahead, as I may need to adjust my riding to my ability and may need to take some days off. I shall be carrying a tent etc., so have options.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic