BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archive (pre-February 2015) > Public Archive > The BHPC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Forum LockedTopic Shunting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Topic Shunting
    Posted: 09 May 2011 at 11:36am
Alan, to quote you in another thread:

"Just to clarify: When the forum and web site were donated to the BHPC by Neil it was on the understanding that the BHPC forum (now funded by members) should be reserved for issues relating to the club and that wider discussions of Human Powered Vehicles should be on the British Human Power Forum."

I think this is overstating the case, or at least elaborating upon it. Since BHPC members were not consulted about where they might in future discuss recumbent-related matters online, no such understanding exists with them.

It seems altogether inappropriate to me for well-established threads to be shunted from this forum to another forum - one which some users of this forum may have no interest in.

Edited by NickM - 09 May 2011 at 11:37am
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 12:04pm

Hi Nick,

We had to resolve a very tricky situation in order to keep an online presence for the club with as little additional fireworks as possible.

Among the things we had to consider were the administration and bandwidth required by the "old forum"

We were looking at dwindling membership numbers and the cost of the club taking on the web site as well as what at the time we believed would be increased magazine production costs.

The solution we came up with was to split the forum with a BHPC specific forum primarily for members to discuss BHPC matters and an independent forum for general Human Power discussions.

As part of that deal the existing web site was donated to the club.

We have not been policing that decision properly (or at all really!) which is why that thread became well established.

In future we will try to point non-BHPC related threads in the right direction much sooner.

All the best

Alan

NickM View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 12:15pm
Thank you for your quick response, Alan.

You seem to be saying that if BHPC members wish to discuss between themselves on this forum things that do not relate directly to "BHPC matters", they will not be allowed to do so.

I can't believe that you really mean that?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 12:21pm
The Private Message system is in place for members (and non-members in fact) who wish to discuss anything between themselves, but the agreement that is in place means that the forum is for discussion of BHPC related stuff...

This is my understanding of the agreement - I don't want to tread on Keith's toes and I'm sure he will be along soon to confirm this (or otherwise)...

NickM View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by AlanGoodman AlanGoodman wrote:

The Private Message system is in place for members (and non-members in fact) who wish to discuss anything between themselves, but the agreement that is in place means that the forum is for discussion of BHPC related stuff...

Well... if I believed that I was party to any such agreement, I wouldn't have raised this subject. I'm reasonably sure that I am not alone among BHPC members in feeling that way.

Isn't any subject that BHPC members wish to discuss between themselves "BHPC related stuff"?
Neil View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 12:30pm
Actually - You were not a member at the time of the agreement Evil Smile
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 12:46pm
There was a statement from Richard at the time of the agreement which was published on the web site and in the magazine so all members would have been aware of it.

Up to that point an informal user group on Facebook (set up by Fraser) had been in place as a temporary "forum" for getting information to members.

The club was in a bit of a mess to say the least and a lot of people put in a lot of effort to get things back on track so that the club could continue and we could all go racing this year...

Like everything else it can be discussed and amended if necessary at the next AGM...

Personally though I have had way more than a bellyfull of arguments about web sites so if this is on the agenda I will not be there.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic