BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > Other non-BHPC events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Technically a Human powered event

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy TS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Technically a Human powered event
    Posted: 18 December 2014 at 3:19pm
So in my wisdom or lack their of i have been convinced to run an Classic MTB event in August next year. So as we are all a bit "retro" ourselves and some are classics :-) i thought you might be interested to dig out that old MTB and have a ride and a little race in Chiltern sunshine and Dust.

Off to pick up a 1988 Cannondale tonight and get it ready for some xc racing in Jan to show these new young pups how to ride a bike with no brakes and very few gears.

Details of the event below:

On the 31st August 2015 the Summit 26 MTB Classic will take place at Cheines House as part of the Chiltern Velo Classique.
The Summit 26 is an off road sportive specifically for mountain bikes built in the last century and designed for collectors and owners of classic machines from the 1980s and 1990s.
To keep things nice and simple the cut off will be no disc brakes otherwise anything else goes.
From a 1984 Peugeot to early an On-one with the focus on having fun and a great ride out.
Suspension is allowed but should be period to go with the retro theme.
Riders will be encouraged to ride in kit of the day so day-glo and bad taste will be the order of the day.
The 26-mile route will be from Chenies Manor to Wendover Woods and back with as much off road as the Chilterns can throw at it. (We will be mindful that some will be on bikes that were built 30 years ago)
Wendover Woods was the home of the UK's first MTB race and subsequent series called the Wendover Bash and the Summit 26 will celebrate its birth 30 years ago.
The "bash" (optional) will consist of the early race format faced by riders of the day from a trials section, hill climb and downhill; tests as much of machine vs. the rider hanging on with wobbly brakes.
Food and refreshments will be served in Wendover and riders encouraged to cheer friends and others through the challenges.
A return back along the trails to Chenies Manor to join the rest of the festival.
Email contact for the event is Summt26mtb@gmail.com
-- 
Thanks,

Summit 26 MTB Classic Team

Tel: 07976468094

Keep in touch:

Email: Summit26mtb@gmail.com
Follow us on Twitter: @summit26mtb
Like us: www.facebook.com/Summit26mtbClassic

Allewedder A2, Broken Optima Baron Lowracer
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 3:44pm
Hmmmmm.... Looks like fun and not far from me... day after the BHPC races at Stourport...

Andy TS View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy TS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2014 at 9:42am
Nice one Alan - picked up 88 dale and feels just like a Dale should. 

Searching Ebay now for awful matching kit
NickM View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2014 at 9:49am
Andy, you will shortly have (snail) mail...

Ah, I remember (but not all that fondly!) my touring bike, adapted with 26 x 1 3/8 rims, cycle speedway tyres and Sturmey Archer hub brakes into a 1980s Mud Monster... my Muddy Fox Courier was a much better off-roader, even if it was a right lump.

No, I'm not entering the event - <codgery tone>I'm 57, you know,</codgery tone> Wink
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2014 at 12:02pm
Pah!!
I'm only 52 so a mere lad by comparison... But the bike I've done by far the most miles on again this year (over 4000) is the old hack of a Trek mountain bike with road tyres, mudguards etc (no suspension of course)... I can leave it anywhere unlocked as it has built-in anti-theft protection... It's not worth nicking unless the price of scrap really goes through the roof!!

Andy TS View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy TS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2014 at 11:30am
Nick, thanks for the snail mail and a most welcome read.

They will be scanned at some point to make some additional copies so if you would like back your originals let me know.

Went on a vintage bike ride over the summer and that to me would define the term old codger. With some bikes and owners pushing 150plus years combined. You are but a young pup 😄

If you have any pics of the mud monster please share

Cheers

Andy
NickM View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2015 at 10:29am
The mud monster is lost in the mists of time, Andy - the bottom bracket was too low, really, and the brakes so scarily ineffective that it didn't last long...

No need to send the mags back - if you know somebody else who might like to read them, please pass them on.

Edited by NickM - 09 January 2015 at 10:31am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic