BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Building
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Streetmachine GT idler pulley

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Streetmachine GT idler pulley
    Posted: 10 September 2020 at 5:11pm
The drive-side idler on my SMGT has died, more specifically the smooth elastomer-ish bit that the chain runs against has disintegrated from wear - the bearings themselves are fine.

Does anyone have any ideas where I might source a replacement that doesn't involve selling my soul to HPVelotechnik?

(Note that this is the older GT model - they changed the idler in the GTE, and the Terracycle offering doesn't fit.)

It looks an awfully lot like a section of large-diameter hose.  I could probably get a metre of that and a hacksaw...

Edited by Kim - 10 September 2020 at 5:18pm
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2020 at 8:32pm
May be worth giving Mike Burrows a shout... May have something lying around or be able to make something suitable.

Kim View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2020 at 9:46pm
I found a source of fuel hose (which I assume shouldn't get too upset about chain oil) of almost exactly the right dimensions, so I'm going to give that a try in the first instance.  Even if doesn't stand up to the wear very well, you'd get a lot of replacements from a metre of hose.
Kim View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2020 at 6:01pm
The size is good, but the steel reinforcement makes it a bit lumpy at the edges.  Not sure how much of a problem that's going to be in practice.  Will find out when I ride it...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic