BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > Etc
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Topic ClosedStopwatches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Visitor (regular)
Visitor (regular)

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stopwatches
    Posted: 09 November 2006 at 6:55am
While idly flicking through the functions on my mobile phone yesterday, I discovered (somewhat to my surprise) that it has a stopwatch.

Since mine is a fairly cheap and cheerful phone, I wondered whether this function lurks on other complicated talky-boxes and whether this might prove usefuul should we find ourselves still stopwatchless next season.
Westcountry Recumbents
http://www.wrhpv.com
Feet first on three wheels.
Neil F View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2006 at 8:53am
Lots of phones have stopwatches with lap functions - but how many laps? At Newport I did remember a look of panic when a timer found out that his phone only counted 7 laps. D'ohShocked
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2006 at 10:17am

I can confirm that the Ericsson T610 only counts a maximum of 9 laps...

Fine for timing Casey at Castle Coombe but no much good for Bruvver Dave at Newport...

Carol View Drop Down
Visitor (regular)
Visitor (regular)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2006 at 7:31pm
Oh mine doesn't do laps at all as far as I can tell - I just thought the total time might be useful if we haven't managed to replace the club equipment by the time the racing starts againConfused
Westcountry Recumbents
http://www.wrhpv.com
Feet first on three wheels.
fards View Drop Down
Visitor (regular)
Visitor (regular)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2006 at 7:59pm
I've got facility for unlimited laps splits etc for 4 riders on the pda, but battery time is a pain.

Wonder why no-ones ever written an app that allows a different keypress per rider on a laptop. Shouldn't be too difficult.
On a touchscreen tablet pc could even have big buttons corresponding to each riders numbers to press.

Alas my coding skills stopped with Pascal when I finished my A levels..

Edited by fards - 09 November 2006 at 8:00pm
GeoffBird View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2006 at 10:32pm
Kevin J has written a program that allows you to key in rider numbers as, before or after they pass the line. We used it at Castle Combe this year. It works well on a large track and is very easy to use, although the first lap can be a bit fraught Confused.
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
KevinJ View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2006 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Geoff Geoff wrote:

Kevin J has written a program that allows you to key in rider numbers as, before or after they pass the line. We used it at Castle Combe this year. It works well on a large track and is very easy to use, although the first lap can be a bit fraught
The software that Geoff said is realonably easy to use and relies on you entering the race number then <enter>.  I tried to make it so you could record the exact time so <enter> gives the time.  Obviously you can get a gropu together so you can press <enter> several times with no numbers, then when you put in the numbers later it allocates them to the times.  It is quite simple but issues warnings when times are suspicious.  Thes can be reviewed at the end and corrected, then the times etsc regenerated.  It can work on most circuits though does require some concentration.  The opening lap can be fun as Geoff said.  This is for two reasons, one since the riders are more grouped, but the more relevant one is that you are not really used to the software.  With a bit of practice you can get quite good.  A keypad maked it relatively easy to do.  It also presents you with the stats in real time (laps/speeds/etc) per rider.
Kevin Jenkins

Windcheetah
fards View Drop Down
Visitor (regular)
Visitor (regular)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2006 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by KevinJ KevinJ wrote:

Originally posted by Geoff Geoff wrote:

Kevin J has written a program that allows you to key in rider numbers as, before or after they pass the line. We used it at Castle Combe this year. It works well on a large track and is very easy to use, although the first lap can be a bit fraught
The software that Geoff said is realonably easy to use and relies on you entering the race number then <enter>.  I tried to make it so you could record the exact time so <enter> gives the time.  Obviously you can get a gropu together so you can press <enter> several times with no numbers, then when you put in the numbers later it allocates them to the times.  It is quite simple but issues warnings when times are suspicious.  Thes can be reviewed at the end and corrected, then the times etsc regenerated.  It can work on most circuits though does require some concentration.  The opening lap can be fun as Geoff said.  This is for two reasons, one since the riders are more grouped, but the more relevant one is that you are not really used to the software.  With a bit of practice you can get quite good.  A keypad maked it relatively easy to do.  It also presents you with the stats in real time (laps/speeds/etc) per rider.

Kevin could you modify that to make 1 button allocated per rider?
then just press the corresponding button everytime the rider comes comes past, it might make it less frenetic, maybe, perhaps....

It may also be possible to do a paper overlay on a usb penpad with boxes to trigger. Each box has rider number on. So have a big grid on screen the same and just press the relevant boxes as needed? I've got a penpad I'd be happy to donate to have a play with if that sounded like a better system.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2006 at 5:59pm
You would need a keypad or map with approx 120 numbers on it (we don't use all of 'em, obv., but you try getting some of them back from their riders ...), and be able to hit them reliably, quickly, and above all, accurately. With my Human Computer Interaction study head on, I would say this would be more difficult and far less flexible than the number pad.

After using the pad at Eastway, I must say that I liked it a lot. The ability to accurately record as you go along, look for general errors (missed laps and the like) and put in numbers retrospectively when groups go by I thought was great.
KevinJ View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2006 at 6:58pm

Ian I suspect it would be harder to identify and associate the person with the key than just typing in the number which you can see!.  In theory it would be easy to type just one key (programming wise), but I  would rather that someone tried the existing programme before I altered it. (Yes Geoff/Fiona - I know that you have!)

Kevin Jenkins

Windcheetah
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic