BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Building
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Stainless Steel for stick bike

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kacey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2019 at 4:56pm
This is my latest bike. I've built two others using the same technique.

GeoffBird View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2019 at 5:17pm
Very nice Keith! I like your frame-building technique very much.
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
Kacey View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kacey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2019 at 7:51pm
Hello,
I've lost the beginning of my reply, but I drew the bike out full size from scale sketches & built a jig from a thick, flat piece of kitchen worktop, which was then used for the TIG welding & for bonding the CF tubes in place. I think this is much easier than trying to build a vertical jig. I have a decent lathe & small milling machine, which are really essential to get accurate cuts & to machine down the CF (extraction essential) & head tube, etc. The rear swing arm is off a Diamondback Outlook from about 2006. Another bike was built using the swing arm off a Marin East Shore from about 1998. Both these original bikes have the advantage of simple swivel bearings. The chain tube supports are mini rose joints from off R/C road buggies & help to increase the steering lock, which isn't very much & not good around town streets, but I avoid these anyway.   The front caliper is cable actuated but internally hydraulic & seems much better than plain cable discs. The rear V brake pads are mounted on thickish ally angle extensions, to enable running a 700 wheel. Not very effective but adequate. Generally I am very pleased with the bike.
Keith
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic