BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Building
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Sachs Derailleur Spacing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sachs Derailleur Spacing?
    Posted: 30 November 2019 at 1:08pm
Anyone know what Sachs Quartz Derailleur Spacing is? I've had to fit one to my old gears which had a New Success mech. and I'm having trouble with the indexing but shifters that are on the bike have been on from new (30 years) so I'm wondering if they are worn out, and want to change them. 

Because the Goldtech cassette I have fitted is made of titanium it is not showing much sign of wear, so I would like to keep it. (also my Kingcycle frame only takes a 7 speed cassette and there isn't a high end cassette in 7 speed any more.)

All the best.
Roy
LWaB View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LWaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2019 at 11:25pm
Sachs Quartz was 8sp from memory. Sachs freewheels were mostly compatible with 8sp Campag cassettes which were 0.2mm wider spaced cog-to-cog than Shimano cassettes.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html

Edited by LWaB - 30 November 2019 at 11:30pm
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2019 at 8:27am
Thanks Dave. That would account for the trouble shifting. When I bought the mech in 97 it didn't occur to me that it might be different spacing to the old New Success mech. It had the same instruction sheet.

OK. I've found that it does work with the original Aris Power Shifters, but on the front big ring you have to downshift two gears to get the shift and back one for it to run smoothly. Runs OK on the middle ring. I don't know about the small ring as I never use it. The original problem I was having was a cable issue.

All the best.
Roy

Edited by RoyMacdonald - 03 December 2019 at 11:01am
LWaB View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LWaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2019 at 8:20am
I know that Sachs Ergopower (made by Campagnolo) indexing was slightly different to Campag’s to suit Shimano cassette spacing. All very confusing as a bikeshop mechanic without the internet.

I’m not entirely sure from your description what problem you are having. I assume you have sorted all the usual things like properly aligning the derailleur hanger, replaced cable and housing and suchlike.

Edited by LWaB - 04 December 2019 at 8:22am
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2019 at 5:10pm
Hi Dave.
The problem with the Ride On Cable I have fitted was that the PTFE sleeve the stainless cable part runs in is too big to go through the nipple on the durallier. So it has to be cut back so that it never comes out of the outer sleeve and interferes with the durallier otherwise it stops the gear change happening. On the old durallier it was not a problem as I cut it to suit when I fitted it, but on the new durallier it came through a lot further (6 mm) and I did not notice that it was interfering at first until I checked it again for issues. 

I do have a new Ride On cable which now carries the SRAM logo as well as the Ride On one. But unless I see or feel something is wrong with the cable that is on the bike it will stay in it's box. Fitting a new cable to a Power Shift grip isn't my favourite job. (The issue on the big chainring of having to change down 2 gears and up one to get the gear you want has been there since new so I think that is just how the cassette and durallier are. Cross chaining is also a big no no.) 

All the best.
Roy   

Edited by RoyMacdonald - 04 December 2019 at 5:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic