BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > For Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Roy's old KC Wasp...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roy's old KC Wasp...
    Posted: 01 January 2020 at 9:43pm
A Kingcycle Wasp has turned up for sale on Ebay - It's the one Roy MacDonald used to race I think. Surprised to see another one with a working K-Drive. The seller says he has the bag and the patterns for the bag as well. It's way oooop North... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174140325908?_trksid=p2471758.m4703

stormbird View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2020 at 12:47pm
IIRC the K drives were to reduce Q factor and foot swept arc ?

Are the K drives fragile ?

regards Paul
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2020 at 2:33pm
No. Not normally. I managed to break a crank while spinning at 140 rpm but Miles thought it was the weld that was the issue and he fixed it. The bag is one that my sister made and probably still has my blood on it in places as I had a couple of big crashes.

The only thing I found about the K drive is that it absorbs 10% of your power output so you need to be a strong rider to get any kind of speed out of it and I never really got used to the linear motion, despite doing about 50,000 miles on it. (I rebuilt the transmission several times.)

It is in the ownership of Nigel Brown who unfortunately has MS. He offered it to me but I couldn't afford it as I have an order for an After 7 that I have to pay for. I'm not really a fan of front wheel drive as I'm too light to get proper traction, and I fell off it loads of times when the front wheel spun.

Yes that is the bag in my avatar.

All the best.
Roy 

Edited by RoyMacdonald - 02 January 2020 at 2:35pm
stormbird View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2020 at 9:31pm
Roy

Thanks for your answer , my interest was to reduce frontal area in a front fairing.

I have to little power to loose 10% , although I suspect gains were made in aerodynamics that paid some of that back ?

Good luck with the sale Paul
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2020 at 11:26pm
Yes, it goes faster because of the improved aerodynamics than the classic rear wheel drive Kingcycle. And it's easier to transport than a full hardshell bike.

Roy
legs_larry View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2020 at 9:39am
Originally posted by stormbird stormbird wrote:

IIRC the K drives were to reduce Q factor and foot swept arc ?

Are the K drives fragile ?

regards Paul

Steve Donaldson managed to break a few but his power output was probably above average.
====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2020 at 8:18pm
Sold for £415.
Bit of a bargain!!
Hope we see it on the track this year.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic