BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > Etc
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Topic ClosedRoad and race speeds?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Road and race speeds?
    Posted: 29 July 2005 at 12:25pm

Just wondering, what kind of speed diffrence (if any) do you find between road riding on flat roads and racing on a circuit on the same bike at the same effort?  Would getting rid of my saftey flag, pannier and rack make anykind of diffrence?

Current fleet: Milan SL MK2 #027, Fujin SL II, Beany!

AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2005 at 6:46pm

Probably would make a bit of difference, but slipstreaming other people certainly makes a huge difference...

I was staggered by my average speed on my old Kingcycle at Preston... 21.2MPH is a good 2MPH faster than I would expect to average on the road, and faster than I've been on the Hurricane in most races this year.

All down to the fact that I was sitting behind faster riders for the whole race...

Edited by AlanGoodman

Yowie View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2005 at 1:14pm
Its rare that I get a clear run on the road with which to match my race effort, but including the normal road delays, I'm usually at least 2mph slower on the road.
gNick View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2005 at 5:02pm
Add to the pot the way you never seem to be able to put in quite the same effort when riding (or even training) as you do when racing. At least I can't, not that training has been high on the agenda recently...
gNick

"I'm afraid it's definite, Mrs Banker - your son has bicycles"
LeeW View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2005 at 10:06am

I recently did a 21.8Mph 10 mile TT on my flat-bar upright, I tried the same circuit a few weeks ago on the trike and got about 18Mph.  It was done on a fairly flat dual-carrageway, out and back with a roundabout at the end so not much stopping although the surface is mostly chip-seal which probely slows me down a bit.  On the race track, should I expect something like 19Mph?

I might try a second run on the same bit of road without the pannier, rack, flag and LH mirror and see how fast I go.  I can also put more air in the rear marathon tyre which I keep at about 70Psi but can go to 100Psi.

Edited by LeeW

AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2005 at 11:40am

This might sound silly, but are you sure the speedos on both bikes are calibrated exactly the same (did they both read exactly 10 miles at the end of the same route?)

I thought I was going really slow on my Kingcycle compared to my mountain bike over a fairly hilly little circuit I ride in the mornings, but it turned out that the speedo on the mountain bike was a bit optimistic...

So in fact I was just dog slow on both bikes...

Alan.

Edited by AlanGoodman

LeeW View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2005 at 9:22pm

I know the speedo on my upright must be fairly accurrate since when I crossed the finish line, it read 10.04 miles.  My avarage speed on my speedo was 21.8Mph but using the time I got, I worked it out to be 21.71.

I have set both speedos by rolling the wheel and measuring the distance.

I cannot remember seeing the finish line when I tried it on my trike so did not really know where the finish was.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic