BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Wanted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Ride a prone bicycle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formydad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ride a prone bicycle
    Posted: 07 April 2015 at 7:08pm
Hi. I've not posted here before. Just saw Tim Elsdale's prone recumbent in encycleopedia and found BHPC through web search.

It's my dad's 60th birthday on the 15th this month. He's always talked about making a prone bicycle, so I thought it'd be fun for his birthday if he could ride one! I'm wondering if there are any prone bicycle owners anywhere near Kegworth (where we live), or in the East Midlands. We would travel to you, of course, and I'm sure we could even come to some arrangement if you'd like! Anyway, hope to hear from you. Will
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2015 at 11:52pm
I don't know of anybody with a prone (head-first) recumbent... Never seen one at a BHPC event as far as I can remember.

If he just wanted to try a recumbent I'm sure we would have a good chance of finding something for him to play on.
If he wants to see loads in action then our first round at Hillingdon on Sunday would be well worth the trip.

Happy Birthday!!
Alan

Adrian Setter View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Setter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2015 at 8:45am
The last person I saw in the flesh riding prone (and, as far as I can recall, the only one) was Tim Elsdale himself, at a BHPC meeting, in about 2002 or 2003.  Thee Records would show which.

Graeme Obree's Beastie is the only machine I've seen reference to recently.
Challenge Hurricane - MicWic Delta (Front half) - Burrows Ratracer
Andrew S View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2015 at 9:25am
I too know of no other prones apart from Obree's and Tim Elsdale's (which presumably still exists somewhere). However I do pass through Kegworth most Sunday mornings on my 'normal' recumbent and would be glad to drop in for a show'n'tell sometime - I'm 59 too!

If your dad does go ahead with his prone I can strongly recommend Long Lane as a test track. You probably know it well - the long, single-track road to Sawley over the A453.

PS: Are you the Will who told me about the broken links on the website?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2015 at 11:26am
Prone machines just look scary to me!!!
Are you sure you aren't just looking to take advantage of the proposed changes to inheritance tax Will?? Big smile

russellbridge View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2015 at 12:47pm
I'm sure Jonathon Woolrich's blog mentioned a (very unstable) prone he'd built and ridden in the dim and distant past, based on a standard upright racing bike - maybe it's still lurking in a shed?

Edited by russellbridge - 08 April 2015 at 12:47pm
formydad View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formydad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2015 at 1:37pm
Hi Andrew. Yes, that was me.

It'd be great to meet you one Sunday morning, yes. I had this idea about making a tandem from a normal and a recumbent bike, to try to get the best of both. But my dad's interest is only in prone bikes.

I'd like to try to make contact with Tim Elsdale, because I know he used to sell or at least make prone bicycles, so perhaps we could hire one from him for the day or weekend?
legs_larry View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2015 at 3:29pm
I did once see one of Tim's machines parked outside Condor in the Grays Inn Road, which suggests that someone must have been barking enough to ride one in That London traffic.
====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2015 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by legs_larry legs_larry wrote:

I did once see one of Tim's machines parked outside Condor in the Grays Inn Road, which suggests that someone must have been barking enough to ride one in That London traffic.

The possibility of them still being alive enough to loan the machine to anyone is pretty slim I would think...

GeoffBird View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2015 at 8:14pm
At least 10 years ago, there was an Italian guy who built prone bikes and supposedly used them for dispatch riding - obv. bonkers in the head (maybe as a result of a collision on his machine?)

Below, a combination of conventional bike and recumbent, thereby forming a tandem:

Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic