BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Riding > Etc
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Rain getting in my eyes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fossala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rain getting in my eyes
    Posted: 11 September 2018 at 10:18am
When riding upright bikes I use a cycling cap to prevent me getting rain in my eyes, this is no use on my HP Velotechnik speedmachine as my head is tilted backwards. It really impairs my vision when going over 25mph and with the hills around me this is many times each ride. My two thoughts are cycling glasses or a fairing. I've just been for a ride (in the rain, hence my pondering) and I think a fairing would impeded my vision more than help it.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Kim View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 2:08pm
I normally wear a Walz cycling cap (expensive, but they make them small enough to fit my head), which has a peak angle that seems better suited to recumbents than it does on uprights, where it always seems to get in the way. It's not perfect at keeping the rain off my glasses, particularly in a more laid-back position (I ride both an Optima Baron and a HPV Streetmachine, as well as various upwrongs), but it's better than nothing.

If you're not a habitual glasses wearer, then you might not realise that glasses in the rain (and fog) are rubbish. There's probably a (fairly mild) level of shortsightedness where the effect of drips of water outweighs the optical benefit of the lenses. On the other hand, glasses do keep the water (and grit, insects, spit from passing oiks, etc) from actually reaching your eyes, and I consider some sort of glasses to be worthwhile to protect your corneas from a gentle sandblasting if you're riding for prolonged periods.

I've not used a front fairing, but my understanding is that when fitted in a position that you can see over the top of them in the wet, they're ideal for delivering splashes of accumulated water into your face when you hit a bump. They do keep your feet admirably dry.
D.TEK View Drop Down
Visitor (regular)
Visitor (regular)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote D.TEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 6:45pm
I sell new and used fairings .
You can expect a 4 to 5 % aero gain .and shield some rain off your legs plus your feet should be warmer 
BUT you cannot and should not expect to look through the fairing ...rather you view over the lip or leading edge ..
Severe side gusts winds can affect the two wheel brigade (just like motorbikes ) trike riders don't have to worry . However most of the better brands of lexan polycarbonate fairings such as Zipper + Wavy HP Streamer+ Mueller Terracyle ……….can be removed and rolled up into a tube .shape if you get caught in a exteme wind and stormy weather .
Other point to mention ….LIGHTING ….you might have to remount or reposition your lighting systems unless you like the "Halo" effect caused by bounceback reflection .
Rain drops on a fairing can be no fun with oncoming headlights ..another reason to always look over the top .
Finally some riders finding judging kerbs and objects difficult in the early days …  bit like a trade bike .
But more gains than negatives and my peak fairing season starts very soon Clap

A clear machine shop users wrap around visor face guard with a few mods can also work well 
Anti mist wipes can be bought cheaply ...
I also use "Rain X " treatment on my vintage Austin 7 Chummy windscreen because the single vacuum wiper is next to useless in the rain ! 

Hope that's helps …….Kevin D 

D.TEK HPVS purveyors of recumbent trikes and cycles
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 9:32pm
No issues with a Kingcycle fairing and cyclist cap under my cycle helmet even wearing glasses. Of course the Kingcycle has a more upright seat.
I find the low level winter sun more of an issue in the late afternoon and even at mid day in the depths of winter on my ICE Sprint. At the moment an Assos cap is working OK as it seems to have a slightly larger peak. I think there is a gap in the market for a cycling cap with a bigger peak though.
Roy 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic