BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > Etc
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Topic ClosedRace format question - "time + lap(s)"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Visitor (occasional)
Visitor (occasional)

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Race format question - "time + lap(s)"
    Posted: 11 December 2006 at 8:30pm
I posed this on the Recumbents.com forum too, but I think you guys actually use this format whereas the American brethern don't seem to.

If you have a 30min + 1 lap race (for example), is there any point in going hard and lapping the field, or is the only real lap that counts is the final one?

Thanks
Twed View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2006 at 9:40pm
Is this a real question? Confused Or are you just one seriously confident sprinter?
Never believe an atom they make up everything.
Neil F View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2006 at 10:18pm

The short answer is that it's only the last lap that counts - first across the finish line wins. This is the same as any stage of the Tour, its the last 2 feet that counts the first 200 miles just gets you to the finish.

However, a better answer is that with a lap based race tactics come into play. Going flat out to lap everyone is a tactic, just hope that someone doesn't just use your slipstream to tag along. Likewise if the leader has just disappeared can you and another competitor work to wind him back in? Tactics, half the fun of racing.

As for the 30mins + 1lap - well that means that you normally get a bell for a last lap to get the sprint finish in. IMHO if you need the bell to work this out you have already lost the sprint.
Twed View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2006 at 10:21pm

I think you may be for real, so here is an explaination ......We have a number of races to fit in each meeting, so we set the time for each race .....this way we keep to some kind of timetable. Why the +1 I hear you cry .....well, that is for everyone to know it is the end of the race soon ( the 30 mins tend to elapse mid lap). So, some can relax .......but others can get sprinting or get the sprint muscles warmed for the fight to the line (depends upon the length of the lap Big smile)

Never believe an atom they make up everything.
25hz View Drop Down
Visitor (occasional)
Visitor (occasional)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2006 at 2:02am
Thanks for the replies.  I've never raced in a time+lap format so wasn't exactly sure what the ruling would be.  I was always in the speed/power events in track and field so my leg strength has always been a strong point (working on cardio now though).  My cardio is coming along nicely and I like to ride hard as I can on my 25 to 35km commute, so that sort of comes in handy for races too.  We have 25 to 35 km races, plus shorter 10 min, 20 lap, then the shorter TT's too.  I've also seen "time + 5 laps", which I think would be interesting as well.

Thanks for the clarification though.

Edited by 25hz - 13 December 2006 at 9:13pm
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2006 at 5:14pm
As Twed says, we have several races at each event...

Then at the end of the day all of the results are put together to give overall results and championship points...
So somebody taking it easy for 30 minutes then going for a sprint finish in race 2 may well win that race but end up behind somebody just riding hard all the way in race 1...

Most important thing with all our races though is that everybody has fun...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic