Forum Description: Events not covered by the above
URL: https://forum.bhpc.org.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=7073
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 10:03am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.02 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ft per hour challenge
Posted By: russellbridge
Subject: Ft per hour challenge
Date Posted: 22 May 2020 at 9:10am
Ok so it’s not a Bhpc race, but I’m ‘organising’ this for some friends scattered around the country/world.
This sat or sun am. How many feet can you climb in a hour. 8am to 9am, record the ride on Strava. You’ve got to cycle to the hill from your front door (and Strava that ride too) Which hill is up to you. Long and steady, or short and sharp multiple repeats? Stay safe. Don’t crash on the descents. No motors. Any human powered vehicle allowed, recumbents, TT bikes, disk wheels, do what you like
Post your results here
Enjoy🤣
Russ

Replies:
Posted By: RoyMacdonald
Date Posted: 22 May 2020 at 9:44am
Hi Russ. 8 am to 9 am? Why? I am usually having breakfast, feeding the dog/chickens etc. at that time. So would mean getting up about 4:30 am for me! Not a problem if my hay fever is keeping me awake. (it's come back since I had the stroke, after being free of it for the last 7 years, so as Dave once said you may see the return of the masked man)
Good idea otherwise though.
All the best.
Roy

Date Posted: 22 May 2020 at 10:37am
Hi Roy
I’ll take a similar approach to gov with lockdown - there’s rules, but no one to enforce them 😄
Russ

Date Posted: 22 May 2020 at 11:05am
Hi Russ. I will make an effort to have the trike ready in time. I've been having some trouble with the screw heads breaking off leaving the thread in the pin while trying to replace the Look Keo blades. Had to order a replacement kit. I'm assuming the new screws I tried to use were faulty because I found the old ones took more effort to remove than I used putting the new ones in. I've also made the trike even heavier than it was by fitting a tailbox. It may have made the trike more aerodynamic but that won't be any use on the hills and will probably be worse. Cry But it will be useful for shopping.Big smile

All the best.
Roy

Date Posted: 23 May 2020 at 11:00am
2,487ft to beat from this morning. Two and a bit x climbs up Snake Pass from Glossop. Let’s see what you’ve got.
My mate Mike has the best so far at 3,114ft using a dip in Bournemouth

Posted By: legs_larry
Date Posted: 23 May 2020 at 11:44am
I don't do up!
</diva>

-------------
====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds

Posted By: Kim
Date Posted: 23 May 2020 at 2:10pm
I don't do mornings!
</vampire>

Date Posted: 24 May 2020 at 8:16am
Originally posted by russellbridge russellbridge wrote:

Ok so it’s not a Bhpc race, but I’m ‘organising’ this for some friends scattered around the country/world.
This sat or sun am. How many feet can you climb in a hour. 8am to 9am, record the ride on Strava. You’ve got to cycle to the hill from your front door (and Strava that ride too) Which hill is up to you. Long and steady, or short and sharp multiple repeats? Stay safe. Don’t crash on the descents. No motors. Any human powered vehicle allowed, recumbents, TT bikes, disk wheels, do what you like
Post your results here
Enjoy🤣
Russ

Is the first ride to the hill included in the hour, or does the hour start once you reach the hill Russ?
All the best.
Roy

Posted By: farwer
Date Posted: 24 May 2020 at 10:56am
Well done Russel. Mine is 2093ft, Snake pass from east to Glossop then 1 and a bit x the climb from Glossop.

Jochen

Date Posted: 24 May 2020 at 11:19am
Roy, the hour starts when you are at the hill.
Jochen

Date Posted: 24 May 2020 at 12:55pm
Results so far:
Mike (Bournemouth) - 3,114ft
Russ (Manchester) - 2,487ft
Gautier (Paris) - 2,201ft
Andy (Southampton) - 2,142ft
Mark (Chorley) - 2,110ft
Jochen (Sheffield) - 2,092ft
Paul (Birkenhead) - 1,769ft

Bear in mind this may be the only completion we end up doing this year! Get riding and post your results :)

Date Posted: 24 May 2020 at 1:54pm
1078 ft for me Russ.
All the best.
Roy

Posted By: AlanGoodman
Date Posted: 26 May 2020 at 2:45pm
Blast!! I missed this!
Only just seen the post... Might have been interesting on Ivinghoe Beacon but I think I'd have wanted to  it a bit earlier before the crowds arrived...

-------------

Posted By: atlas_shrugged
Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 9:56am
You guys are pussies. Have you see the video of Denise cycling up Highgate Hill, London with 50kg of shopping on the front of the bike!

Cycling Angels - Denise Williams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQEkzqeW-BQ" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:10am
Big smile
Strava estimated my power at 210W average inc the downhills, so prob about 230W for the climbs. We did an 'hour of power' the week before and I was at 237W average for an hour from the rear hub power meter on the TT bike.

Alan give it a go this weekend - you're doing LOTS of riding at the moment so I recon you'll be challenging for the lead...

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:18am
My Strava power data comes from my power meter (rear hub). It's 263W average.
Jochen

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:43am
I do remember your 'hourofpower' Russel. Took me a while to figure out what it means. Thought 'hourof' is some kind of food or so

Posted By: legs_larry
Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by farwer farwer wrote:

I do remember your 'hourofpower' Russel. Took me a while to figure out what it means. Thought 'hourof' is some kind of food or so

Hourof.  It's the new quinoa Big smile

-------------
====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 4:08pm
I did a quick mgh calculation for the top three heights and then converted into average power assuming 100kg for rider+bike which gave this:

Mike 258.6 W
Russell 206.6 W
Gautier 182.8 W

Maybe it would be of interest to have the rider plus bike weights for comparison as well as do a 3.281 divide to help out RestOfTheWorld cos I reckon @farwar needs to oil his chain ;)

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 4:32pm
Interestingly the chain friction is not included in that power as the power meter is hub based. Anything happening before power is going into the back wheel is ignored.

Russel's power per lb is most likely higher than mine as my body weight is 201lb. For the hill race in Germany three years ago I removed 16lb and that had helped. So Russel you have to give me more time to prepare next time LOL

The Speedmachine's weight is not too bad. After I had bought it I put lighter wheels on and replaced the standard seat by a carbon fibre seat, so weight is now 32lb.

Good idea using metric units Thumbs Up

Jochen

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 4:53pm
Hmmm. Using your figures gives 183.6 W with the below formula.

=$A$2*233*9.81/(2.205*3600*3.281)

Are you loosing some power somewhere on the bike? Sorry for being Nerdy I am just interested in the figures.

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 5:09pm
Rider + all-up bike/clothing/fluid weights are: 
Mike 96kg 185cm
Russ 89kg 177cm
Gautier 92Kg 185cm

First three all on decent upright road bikes with low rolling resistance tyres.

Not sure if aero comes into it much at the lower climbing speeds, although Mike was using a dip and accelerating down one side to get him some of the way up the other...so his average speed was 17mph where as everyone else was circa 11mph.

There was also a 15mph tailwind blowing me up Snake Pass, which made the downhill slow and very sketchy, needing the whole lane. That's obviously going to throw the power figures out too, but no idea how!

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 7:00pm

Not sure whether I am losing power somewhere. What number does it give you for Russel? What’s the value in $A$2?

Russel did the west ascent 2 and a bit times. I did the east ascent, then down to Glossop which was all against the quite strong wind - then up the west ascend 1 and a bit times. 

Tyres are Schwalbe One front (20'') and Grand Prix 4000 SII rear (Annoyingly, the new and probably better Grand Prix 5000 seems to be available in 584 instead of the needed 571.

Of course the power meter could be off but I had it serviced a few times and numbers seem consistent over the years.

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 7:30pm
Using more accurate bike and rider weights:

Mike 3114ft 96kg 248.3 W
Russ 2487ft 89kg 183.8 W
Gautier 2201ft 92kg 168.2 W

Spreadsheet (mgh/time) formula used where $A$1 is kg and $B$1 is ft (note: E&OE)

=$A$1*$B$1*9.81/(3600*3.281)

@farwer I would trust your power meter but would expect more ft similar to Russell but I guess a swap of the bike and the route is needed to explain the difference.

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 9:50pm
Yes. Looking at mine and Russel's power data and weights I am quite sure on same bikes and same route it would be pretty similar but Russel still in front.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.02 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk