Forum Description: Any other riding-related topics
URL: http://forum.bhpc.org.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=6906
Printed Date: 24 September 2020 at 9:36pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.02 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Dartford Crossing with a velomobile
Posted By: antonin_d
Subject: Dartford Crossing with a velomobile
Date Posted: 20 May 2019 at 8:34pm
I am thinking of cycling to the Redbridge race (14th July) on my way back from France, coming from the Dieppe-Newhaven ferry. Therefore I am wondering how to cross the Thames estuary!

It seems that the Dartford crossing can be used with a Quest, thanks to the useful feedback of a velonaut I am sure many will recognize:
https://realcycling.blogspot.com/2009/05/thames-crossings-21-and-32-dartford.html (see the comments section).

I wonder if this is still current? (I don't have the velonaut's contact details so I cannot ask him directly if he has done other attempts).
Sadly the Tilbury Ferry is not running on Sundays and it looks too small for a velomobile anyway (although bicycles are allowed).
The Woolwich ferry opens too late on Sundays (11:30) for me to get to the race on time, but maybe the Woolwich foot tunnel could work? Cycles are allowed in it, but I am not sure if a velomobile fits in the lifts?

If I do attempt the stunt, I will report the results here…

Replies:
Posted By: atlas_shrugged
Date Posted: 21 May 2019 at 9:47am
I know John W. uses the nearby Greenwich foot tunnel with his Quest so I asked him these questions:

Can you get a Quest Velomobile in the Greenwich Foot tunnel lift on a Sunday?

What time does the Greenwich foot tunnel open on a Sunday (he is travelling 14-July)?

John W. replied:

the tunnel is open 24/7 as far as I know, the Quest fits in fine with room to spare. That sounds like a nice trip.

Date Posted: 21 May 2019 at 10:11am
One other possibility would be to put the Quest on a ThamesLink train (which runs from Brighton):

Either Gatwick or East Croydon to

Finsbury Park

The Quest would fit in the Cycle section of a ThamesLink train but I do not know about lift space on these stations or Thameslink policies about transporting velomobiles on a Sunday

Posted By: RoyMacdonald
Date Posted: 21 May 2019 at 3:35pm
John W has also cycled through the Rotherhythe tunnel. There is a video on YouTube somewhere.

Roy

Posted By: ChrisH
Date Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:14pm
[QUOTE=antonin_d]
I am thinking of cycling to the Redbridge race (14th July) on my way back from France, coming from the Dieppe-Newhaven ferry. 
[/QUOTE

It seems like every time you enter a BHPC race you challenge your self to cycle their from an even more distant destination.  Smile

Posted By: Kim
Date Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by RoyMacdonald RoyMacdonald wrote:

John W has also cycled through the Rotherhythe tunnel. There is a video on YouTube somewhere.

That one's eminently cycleable as long as you have broken-door-mirror-proof tyres and can cycle at a reasonable speed up a 2.8% gradient while breathing exhaust fumes.

IME it's much less stressful on a bike than when driving a car, though in the interests of disclosure it was somebody else's car and I hadn't fully got the hang of the width yet.

Posted By: antonin_d
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 8:22pm
Wow that's super useful, thank you all!

It would be funny to use trains, I never thought about it with the velomobile. But I have plenty of time to use up (the ferry arrives in Brighton at 4am…) so I think I'll try one of the tunnels, it should be fun!

Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 1:17pm
Hey Velonaughts,

My guess is if the Newhaven - Dieppe ferry crossing is being used then some use will also be made of the Avenue-Verte (cycle track using an old disused railway).

It would be fantastic to take some photos along this route and maybe provide Geoff our editor with a report about how you found this route.

Hopefully we can also encourage the UK to provide similar infrastructure on this side of the channel.

Did I mention about hope?

Posted By: legs_larry
Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 7:40pm
I used the Avenue Vert en route to Paris in 2007.  It was good as far as it went, which wasn't anything like close enough to Paris...

-------------
====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds

Posted By: Yanto
Date Posted: 25 May 2019 at 6:24am
Originally posted by atlas_shrugged atlas_shrugged wrote:

Hey Velonaughts,

My guess is if the Newhaven - Dieppe ferry crossing is being used then some use will also be made of the Avenue-Verte (cycle track using an old disused railway).

It would be fantastic to take some photos along this route and maybe provide Geoff our editor with a report about how you found this route.

Hopefully we can also encourage the UK to provide similar infrastructure on this side of the channel.

Did I mention about hope?

There will be a gaggle of us PBPers doing the Avenue Verte both ways, with scheduled departures into towns/villages/orchards to sample food, wine, beer and cider!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.02 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk