Forum Description: Events not covered by the above
URL: http://forum.bhpc.org.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=4700
Printed Date: 29 March 2020 at 10:22am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.02 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Olympics
Posted By: AlanGoodman
Subject: Olympics
Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 8:47pm
Went down to Surrey today to watch Sir Bradley Wiggins (might not be "Sir" yet but he will be soon I'm sure... Big smile )

Fantastic atmosphere and a great performance by Wiggins and Froome...

32MPH average speed...

Wonder what he would do on a machine with decent aerodynamics?

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: GeoffBird
Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 8:51pm
Go even faster?

-------------
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed

Posted By: graydog
Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 9:08pm
Not have as far to fall :-)

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 9:08pm
Top man!!!

Posted By: GeoffBird
Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 9:23pm
Sorry Alan - just jealous I wasn't there!

-------------
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed

Date Posted: 01 August 2012 at 9:50pm

Big smile

Cracking day out... Great atmosphere among the crowd.

-------------

Posted By: Adrian Setter
Date Posted: 02 August 2012 at 9:29am
Great performance.  Shame he's gone and spoilt my enjoyment of it with some ill-informed comments about c+mp+ls+ry h+lm+ts.

-------------
Challenge Hurricane - MicWic Delta (Front half) - Burrows Ratracer

Posted By: HeatherF
Date Posted: 02 August 2012 at 2:07pm
Andrew and I went to Hampton Court to watch the time trial. Managed to get positioned right next to the start ramp and saw all the riders start in both races. Watched the whole race on a big screen and then saw Brad and Chris etc as they came back. Also got a good position for the medal ceremony. It was a fantastic day out and I'm so glad we went and watched. The atmosphere was terrific.

Heather

p.s. I'm all for helmets - mine certainly saved me from even more serious damage! 

Posted By: Adrian Setter
Date Posted: 02 August 2012 at 3:13pm
I respect your choice and everyone else's on whether or not to wear a helmet.  For myself, sometimes I choose to and sometimes I don't (it's not a random thing but a ride-by-ride risk assessment), but I think I ride more miles with a helmet than without.

My issue is with compulsion. 

It seems well-established, from the few places it's happened, that the one certain effect of compulsory helmets is to significantly reduce the numbers of people cycling.  Those people no longer cycling are no longer getting the health benefits.  Since the life-years gained by cycling outweigh the life-years lost in cycling accidents by around 20:1, the overall effect of compulsion is to reduce life expectancy.  Or, in more provocative words, compulsory helmets kill people.

On top of that, if there is anything in the "safety in numbers" argument, then the reduction in numbers of people cycling means it becomes more risky for those that carry on doing it.  Whether for this reason or one of the others touted (such as risk-compensation) I know that in Australia, the rate of head injury per mile cycled went up when compulsory helmet laws were brought in.

-------------
Challenge Hurricane - MicWic Delta (Front half) - Burrows Ratracer

Date Posted: 02 August 2012 at 3:31pm
There is an article on this subject http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2182586/Bradley-Wiggins-knows-lot-cycling-But-wrong-safety-benefits-wearing-helmet.html" rel="nofollow - here...

-------------

Posted By: KeithD
Date Posted: 06 August 2012 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Adrian Setter Adrian Setter wrote:

I respect your choice and everyone else's on whether or not to wear a helmet.  For myself, sometimes I choose to and sometimes I don't (it's not a random thing but a ride-by-ride risk assessment), but I think I ride more miles with a helmet than without.

My issue is with compulsion. 

:

Well put!

Date Posted: 06 August 2012 at 11:38am
WOW how good are TeamGB doing at the track!!! again!!!

can we have something put on our front page atleast a statment of congrates!!!

personally I would like to see each one of them made an honary member of BHPC.......

Posted By: KeithD
Date Posted: 10 August 2012 at 6:03am
I agree that Team GB (& NI) have done very well on the track - but as this is the "Human Power" club, other Olympians on HPVs should be included - rowers, canoeists, triathletes etc. Come to think of it, the whole team except equestrian , divers & shooters? Could be a big list - we'd end up with more honoury members than paid up members!!!

Date Posted: 10 August 2012 at 8:26am
ye....... but hey like our world champs wow!!!!!

as team GWAWR we are dedicating a solar cell in each of their name and sticking one of the cool stamps along the edge.

for TeamGB (& NI) and TeamSA and TeamIRE
cant wait for the paraolympics........

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.02 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk