BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Any Other Business
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Newby and keen to get involved

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newby and keen to get involved
    Posted: 15 November 2019 at 5:17pm
Hi all

I have always had a fascination for "different" kinds of bikes.  I rode a tandem for a while (I know they aren't that different but you have to start somewhere) and I had a unicycle for a bit (never quite got the hang of it!)

I recently watched a youtube video that GCN did about the club and it looked like a lot of fun.  

Does BHPC offer opportunities for someone like me who's been riding for ages but wants to try riding a recumbent to come to some kind of event and give it a go and maybe rent or borrow a bike for a bit to try it out?  I've already got a mountain bike and a road bike so convincing the wife I need to now get a recumbent - well let's just say it's going to be a tricky discussion! LOL

thanks all!  

AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2019 at 5:51pm
Welcome!
We don’t have anything official but if you come along to any event there are usually plenty of people willing to show you their machines and some might let you have a play!
Unfortunately we don’t have any more events this year but there may well be a member not far from you....

russellbridge View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2019 at 5:57pm
Hi Scott

Yes you'd be more than welcome, and I'm sure there'll be someone to lend a recumbent and teach you how to ride it (the balance is different to an upright, but not as tricky as a unicycle). I started my first few BHPC races on a normal road bike before taking the plunge and buying a low racer recumbent.

The calendar for next year has yet to be released, but the first few races (March onwards) are normally Hillingdon (London), Curborough (N Birmingham), and Derby (indoor velodrome). Just keep an eye on the forum for info being released...

If you want to race it'll be £14, you'll just need a road bike and helmet. If you're reasonably fit on a road bike you'll be mid-top of the field in the 'slow' race.

Russ
Scott View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2019 at 6:54pm
Thanks for the responses.  I'll definitely keep an eye on the events calendar.  I am based near Ilkley in West Yorkshire.  If there are any rides that members do in this area, I'd love to hear about it.  
Kim View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2019 at 9:27pm
The 2020 calendar is still to be confirmed, but there should be a BHPC race in York timed to coincide with the York Cycle Rally in June.  The BHPC usually have a stall at the rally, with various machines on display.  It's also a good place to meet other recumbent riders who aren't interested in riding fast in circles, and have a play with ICE Trikes' latest shiny toys.

Edited by Kim - 15 November 2019 at 9:32pm
Woolly Hat View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woolly Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2019 at 9:51am
Do we have any members in Yorkshire that Scott could contact and maybe meet up to have a go before next season? Christmas is coming and a new recumbent is always a nice pressie ;-)
Ross Low Racer 77 - beware of unexpected changes of direction
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2019 at 1:22pm
Barney is up that way - we could ask him to have a quick chat if he’s got 5 or 6 hours to spare.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic