BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Building
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Newbie ..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve_p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie ..
    Posted: 19 June 2018 at 9:07pm
Hi folks.. I have got involved as mechanic [ but I'm not an engineer ] for a trike project a mate has started...
his plan is for a twin front wheel family carrying trike.
The framework for a prototype is being welded and kicked around the workshop...

My question on behalf of the project is where do we go for front stub axles and steering gear that can cope with a heavy sporty [ yep... he intends it to be sporty so may end up with some sort of motor attached, probably blasphemous here]

Looking at using really fat tyres, is this a good option to add suspension?

Cheers, Steve .. Walsall Bike Project
Gromit View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gromit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2018 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by steve_p steve_p wrote:

Hi folks.. I have got involved as mechanic [ but I'm not an engineer ] for a trike project a mate has started...
his plan is for a twin front wheel family carrying trike.
The framework for a prototype is being welded and kicked around the workshop...

My question on behalf of the project is where do we go for front stub axles and steering gear that can cope with a heavy sporty [ yep... he intends it to be sporty so may end up with some sort of motor attached, probably blasphemous here]

Looking at using really fat tyres, is this a good option to add suspension?

Cheers, Steve .. Walsall Bike Project

Might be worth having a chat with Ben Cooper at Kinetics?
Balor View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 7:37am
Motocars have fat tires AND suspension for a reason, you know.
Tires have very little damping, and while they excel at levelling out small irregularities, a large pothole at high speed will launch you into the air.

Also, fat tires are either very fragile and flat-prone, or do not roll well at all (sometimes both). They are great for rolling on soft stuff where extra rolling resistance drag from tires is negligible compared to surface resistance... disregard that if you plan a motor (but then suspension becomes important).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic