BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > Etc
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Topic ClosedNew Website goes live!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Visitor (regular)
Visitor (regular)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 11:27am
You're lucky if you get taught "Engineering" in any school. In the UK people still associate "Engineer" with "Oh you can fix my car then!" Wall
Certainly very few schools teach engineering design or even hint at the (ahem geek alert) beauty of it.
HRSO2 No 59

www.mbg-recumbent-racing.blogspot.com
jes@gcre View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 11:32am
It gives me a small amount of satisfaction that kids leaving my scout unit go away knowing things such as what a nylock nut is, that the world works in millimetres what a rose joint does.

There is a total lack of what the Americans call "shop" being taught.
Racing is life...
Anything which happens before or afterwards is just standing around waiting to race....
Neil View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 12:18pm
Interesting comments about engineering in schools.

Next month there will be a couple of programs on Teachers TV, commisioned by the BBC that will have footage showing how our pedalcar was designed and built, together with it being driven round Hog Hill and then being raced at Curby.

Last year a number of us also took cars to the Learning Grid event at Rockingham which also caused lots of interest.

Neil
GeoffBird View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 12:46pm
I was quite lucky, in that I went to a "Technical High School", presumably the result of some government initiative in the 60s. I remember well that there was a jet engine and a massive diesel motor in the foyer, both sectioned to reveal the workings, and we were taught engineering drawing.

It's now called a Grammar School, in order to confer status on the parents of the kids who go there, I guess.
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
graydog View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 1:03pm

it is an interesting world, from the point of view of someone who runs a 'performance car technology' course at uni. I tend to find that student gravitate to the course as a result of being 'petrol head' and that in the main cycle or eco technology is a pointless waste of time, or rather 'don't go fast' or 'make noise'...........

that being said the student who come in from mainland EU or further a field tend to be more open minded.

I spend quite a bit of time talking with primary to collage children, regarding future vehicle technology and engineering mech and elec, once they see the building blocks of life, so things like cycles and eco car look more interesting.

As a team, we have just returned from two trips to India, during our tour we spoke with or had access to 20,000 people at the different events, ranging form junior school to final year of uni. We gave 12 TV interviews and don’t know how many radio/paper.

What struck us was how open to new ideas every one was…….. We where taking about the solar car, but still if you can find that spark the kids will really enjoy their future and it is the advertising that is the hard bit but generally what makes it happen.

Often, as engineering we keep our doors closed till we can roll the produce out, there are many reasons for this.  This is followed by us being very modest, generally because we know someone may or will make a better one tomorrow. Some times it is worth putting it out there and making your mark, this to encourages the generations to follow.

I have a science festival talk thing to sort for the two weeks following 3rd July. Could be interesting to get some pimp rides up for that.

regards (hope you don't mind my rambles)

gd
tosgh View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 1:12pm
Fortunately, I have the responsibility of teaching 14-16 groups at my college (mechanical engineering) we also have aero/auto engineering here too, (one of our campus' is on an airport). It is not long into the course before I 'induct' the little ones in the truth that is the 'enlightenment of human power'Thumbs Up.
weight is everything
GeoffBird View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 1:18pm
I've heard about you 'Left-Wing' teachers indoctrinating our youth, Glyn!

Keep up the good work.
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
jes@gcre View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 1:46pm
The date is now on the homepage!

Clap
Racing is life...
Anything which happens before or afterwards is just standing around waiting to race....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic