BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Building
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Mono Fork Steering Query?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mono Fork Steering Query?
    Posted: 11 March 2018 at 11:54am
I've just bought a Fugin with a Mono fork, but when pushed as in wheeling it along by hand it runs to the monoblade side unless you hold the tiller to keep it straight. Is this normal or do I need to investigate the alignment? None of my other bikes twin fork have ever done this.

Roy

Edited by RoyMacdonald - 11 March 2018 at 11:54am
GeoffBird View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2018 at 1:26pm
If the steered mass is offset from the steering axis then there will be a force tending to steer the bike. This will be greater the shallower the head angle, and I think the Fujin has a fairly shallow angle. However, I would expect the force to be small. The other thing I know from experience is that it is harder to get a welded monoblade straight, compared with a conventional fork, as the weld stresses are asymmetric. I'd check the wheel is in line with the steering axis.

Edited by GeoffBird - 11 March 2018 at 1:27pm
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2018 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by GeoffBird GeoffBird wrote:

If the steered mass is offset from the steering axis then there will be a force tending to steer the bike. This will be greater the shallower the head angle, and I think the Fujin has a fairly shallow angle. However, I would expect the force to be small. The other thing I know from experience is that it is harder to get a welded monoblade straight, compared with a conventional fork, as the weld stresses are asymmetric. I'd check the wheel is in line with the steering axis.

Thanks Geoff. I think it's glued in place if it's like the Windcheeta joints. How do I check the wheel steering axis relationship?

Roy 
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 11:17pm
I've realised the cause. It's because all the cables bar one go to the monfork side and it's the spring in the cables as they turn into the frame tube. All the cables run in the frame.
Roy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic