BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > For Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Mango Tour Velomobile for Sale

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarlOnSea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mango Tour Velomobile for Sale
    Posted: 03 July 2022 at 6:46pm
Selling my Mango Tour, which I bought to salve the woes of a cancelled ride across the USA in the Year of The Plague. I'm selling because I'm upgrading to an Alpha 7 Smile, and need the space / funds.

It's done 9,000km, and is in GOOD condition. £4,495, from Tyneside, but I'll be picking up my Alpha7 from the Lincolnshire Wolds, so if you're willing to split the van hire & diesel costs, I can deliver anywhere east of the Pennines, as far south as, say, Leicester & Peterborough.

Specification:
  • Chainset - Shimano Tiagra triple - 50-39-30T, with 170mm cranks
  • Casette - 11-34T, 10sp, with a modified Deore derailleur
  • Mid-drive - 22T, driving 18T freewheel
    • With the above gearing, the velomobile can climb 15% gradients (20% for *short* distances), and it spins out at around 60km/h (just under 40mph)
  • Shifters - Shimano Dura Ace 3x10, bar end.
  • Brakes - Sturmey Archer 90mm drum brakes
  • Tyres - All three wheels have Continental Contact Urban Pro, 406 x 42
  • Front Wheel covers - Fabric
  • Wheels - All three wheels are built with double-butted spokes, and a single-side fixing. so no need to remove a wheel to repair a puncture.
  • Electrics - 12V system, with 2 x six-cell LiPo battery packs (factory supplied), with an on-off-on switch to select between them, and an extra 1 x three-cell LiPo reserve power pack (home made - includes BMS circuit); Charger with EU plug.
  • Headlights - two B&M IXON IQ Speed (90 lux) (one is low-beam, and one high-beam)
  • Daytime running lights, indicators, hazard lights, brake lights, and fog light.
  • Interior 'map reading' light.
  • 2 x USB charging ports.
  • Seat - Mango Carbon fibre seat with Ventisit seat pad, and neck pad.
  • Horn, and bell.
  • Velomobile carpets (these dampen the noise, and stop things rolling around the inside a bit)
  • Size: 2.45m long, 75cm wide, 90cm high
  • Weight: 32kg
  • Turning circle: 8m (a little tighter with narrower front tyres)

Also supplied with:
  • Foam rain cover for entrance hole. This slots in under the bonnet for storage.
  • Touring roof / sunshade
  • PET Windscreen (fixes on with magnets) - home made.
  • Elbow rests - carbon fibre, home made
  • Water bottle holder - carbon fibre, home made (these were actually my mk1 elbow rests 😉)
  • Garmin mount - carbon fibre, home made
  • Phone holder - carbon fibre, home made. It has a neodymium magnet in it, which grabs one of those metal plates you can stick to the back of your phone.
  • Spare tyre.

Not included:
  • The Exposure Trace R rear light, shown in the photos. I'll leave the go-pro mount plates on though.
  • Pedals as shown. These will be going on my new machine. Happy to fit an alternative set of SPDs though.
  • The Garmin shown in the photos.

Things to note - this is in very good condition, but it is a used Velomobile!
  1. About three weeks after I took delivery, I got hit by a stone thrown up by a car going in the opposite direction. This took a chip out of the gelcoat at the rear of the right wheel arch. I've repaired this, and although it's a good repair, it's not perfect - once you know where to look, then in some lights you can just about make it out. See the close-up photo of the rear of the wheel arch.
  2. Couple of months after that at a pub stop, some drunken idiot tried to sit on it. 🤬 This put a small (maybe 20mm?) crack in the bonnet, which I've repaired with a carbon fibre patch on the inside (three layers - 300, 300, 210gsm, vacuum consolidated), and then a repair to the gelcoat on the outside. Again, this gelcoat repair isn't perfect, and if you know where to look, you can see it in certain lights. See the photos of the interior, showing the patch, and the two photos of me pointing at the gelcoat repair on the bonnet.
  3. It looks like the right hand tyre has rubbed a bit on the inside of the wheel arch when cornering. It's rubbed through the gelcoat, but not as far as I can tell, into the composite.
  4. On the rear, I found it was scuffing whenever I locked the velomobile up - the chain I have is long enough to go through the rear wheel, and round a post, but it's tight. I've added the "Cullerfornia" stickers to the back as sacrificial wear points to save damaging the body.
  5. On the rear, at the top of the lower moulding, there are a couple of light scratches . These were on the bike when it was delivered, and go under the red reflective strip. Again, barely noticeable.
  6. I've managed to break one of the clips that hold on the fabric wheel cover on the right wheel. It seems fairly secure, but I'd recommend getting a few spares from velomobeil.nl - less than €5, delivered.

Delivery
Once I sell my Mango, I'll be hiring a van to drive down to Lincolnshire to pick up my new machine. So if you live east of the Pennines, and between Tyneside and say, Leicester / Peterborough, I can deliver and we can split the van hire & diesel costs. Otherwise, it's strictly buyer collect.

Purchase price, including VAT was over £6,000 (plus delivery at the height of post-Brexit chaos at the ports), so grab yourself a bargain!

Full details and specification on Gumtree - listed there as a handy place to host photos and long-form description.

Edited by KarlOnSea - 06 July 2022 at 5:41pm
KarlOnSea View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarlOnSea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2022 at 8:49am
Still for sale! I do have a little room to move on the price - get in touch if you'd like to make me an offer! 

Karl. Thumbs Up
XAPBob View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote XAPBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2022 at 1:28pm
If you're further south then I can offer storage for a bit at the Southern edge of Karl's range.

But since I already have a Mango... I don't need another one.
KarlOnSea View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarlOnSea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2022 at 9:18am
I'm fairly sure n+1 applies here. LOL

skids View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2022 at 11:40am
Hi,  

How is the Mango on poor road surfaces ?  Some of the roads around here (North Lincs) have not been resurfaced since the Romans.

best wishes

Simon

KarlOnSea View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarlOnSea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2022 at 12:02pm
Hi - 
It depends on how poor they are!
  • Well-laid gravel / cinder tracks: fine - there are a couple of the 'waggonways' round here that I routinely use. These are former goods lines that've been converted into cycle paths, for the most part without a tarmac surface.
  • Potholes: Less good, and you have to slow down or go around them. No option to bunny-hop!
  • Rough tarmac (top-dressed; starting to break up a bit on the surface): Slows you down a bit
  • Smooth tarmac: Lovely!
Basically, there are some routes round here that I just avoid as being too much like hard work, but these are very few and far between - if I can ride a route on a road bike with 25mm tyres, then I can do it in the Mango. And in the Mango, I'll be faster, and with the ability to carry a load of luggage.

K.
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2022 at 12:13pm
The Quest XS I had was ok on the horrendous pot-holed roads of Hertfordshire - it had been fitted with a Risse Genesis Gas shock at the rear which was fantastic... so that may be something to consider if the Mango can be upgraded to something similar. The problem with any trike of course is that you can't straddle a pothole with the front wheels without whacking it with the rear! 

KarlOnSea View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarlOnSea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2022 at 12:16pm
Remember, kids: Tricycles of all kinds are guaranteed to find every pothole on your route! LOL

Originally posted by AlanGoodman AlanGoodman wrote:

The Quest XS I had was ok on the horrendous pot-holed roads of Hertfordshire - it had been fitted with a Risse Genesis Gas shock at the rear which was fantastic... so that may be something to consider if the Mango can be upgraded to something similar. The problem with any trike of course is that you can't straddle a pothole with the front wheels without whacking it with the rear! 
KarlOnSea View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarlOnSea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2022 at 11:27am
Hi - 
I've just had a read of the listing, and if you'd missed the price at the top, you might've found my purchase price description at the bottom confusing!

So to be clear: I'm looking for £4,495, and I DO have a little room for movement on this price.

If you're interested, make me a sensible offer!

K.
XAPBob View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XAPBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2022 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by KarlOnSea KarlOnSea wrote:

I'm fairly sure n+1 applies here. LOL

Yeah - I can justify the +1 for a *different* kind of machine... but two mangos is more than I can ride, even on a very wet day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic