BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Riding > Etc
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

HPV heading to Fife - whom, and when?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arellcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HPV heading to Fife - whom, and when?
    Posted: 01 July 2018 at 1:06am
A while ago, David from Laid Back Bikes was sent this photograph of an HPV heading north across the Forth Road Bridge.  Ever since* then we¥ have been trying to find out what the HPV was and when it took place.

HPV heading to Fife.... by LaidBackBikes, on Flickr

I do know that it was 1982 or later (cf. the car registration) and 1986 or earlier (when the studs were replaced with a white line).  I've also heard that someone campaigned an HPV on the Edinburgh–St Andrew's ride in 1985.  The writing on the side is tantalising but obscure, though you can make out "Glen" and "Steve", I think.

Scouring the old back issues, and noting Mr Larrington's accounts elsewhere, I read about Glen Sprocket and Dragonfly, and certainly it seemed to hail from north Edinburgh, but its construction was slightly different from the machine pictured, since Dragonfly's nose was lowest at the base, rather than being midway up.  Or was it indeed Dragonfly, modified from the original design?

* On and off.
¥ Well, me, mostly.

Edited by Arellcat - 01 July 2018 at 1:06am
carbon Quest, Lightning P-38, RANS Sequoia
legs_larry View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2018 at 11:39am
It doesn't look like the Dragonfly I remember, which met an untimely DETH when it, and the roof-rack in was attached to, parted company with Dave Cormie's car at speed on the A1.
====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic