BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Building
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

How many chains?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many chains?
    Posted: 13 September 2019 at 9:07pm
Ok, so not strictly relevant to the building forum, but seemed like the most logical place...

It's (way past) time to replace the chain (and 9 speed cassette) on my Optima High Baron as after having it checked in the bike shop discovered it is stretched and gear changes are slipping all over the place. I'm not sure how many chain's I need (don't really want to have to count all those links! I think it's probably 3 chains with master links to join them up. 

Also wondering if it would be better to buy some chain by the foot instead? I see  this is available from Terracycles in the US, but I don't know of any uk suppliers, and I suspect it would work out more expensive that 3 chains from Wiggle.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2019 at 9:10pm
Yep - 3 chains has done the trick on every rear wheel drive recumbent I've ever owned. 

legs_larry View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2019 at 9:50pm
I think this one may need a few more:

====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
Brucey View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brucey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2019 at 9:59pm
I built a machine with a mid-drive gearbox and this had a 1/8" chain to the mid drive and a 3/32" one to the rear wheel. I'd positioned the mid drive so that I could use 1-1/2 chains for each run.

Chains come in different lengths, e.g. about 130 links for e-bike chains. If you actually need nearer 2-1/2 'normal' chains, you might get away with two e-bike chains (rather than three road bike chains).

cheers
SamB View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2019 at 11:00pm
Thanks Alan & Brucey! 

A change of chains will soon be underway.

Sam
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic