BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > Etc
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Topic ClosedHow do I start racing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I start racing?
    Posted: 03 June 2007 at 5:34pm
I've started down the slippery path of recumbent riding and would now like to start racing.

So far I've joined BHPC, bought a Kingcycle and done a couple of training rides. I've identified Darley Moor as a suitable location for me and if successful maybe Preston and Lancaster.

So the questions to be answered are:-
Is there a simple guide somewhere for virgin racers?
What time do proceedings start?
Who do I pay and how much?
From reading the forums I think the bike is race legal except for chainguard and number boards (I did see reference to needing rear view mirrors ?) anything else I need to make a kingcycle race legal?
Number boards - how many, how big and where?

Looking forward to no doubt a flurry of comprehensive replies.
fards View Drop Down
Visitor (regular)
Visitor (regular)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2007 at 6:01pm
if you have a dig through the front end then theres details of sizes of the numbers..
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/rules.html

You'll need two of at least a5 size. one one the front, one facing sideways (usually towards the rear) if you've got the kc tailbox then it's an obvious place. may as well pop em both sides..
You'll need a number, either bring blank number boards and a pen to your first race or it should be possible to assign you one before hand.

cost is 7squid members 10 for non per race or 50 for the season.

Times are usually an 11am start so be there for 9.30 to sign on! (except castle combe which is an afternoon race this year).

hth

mirrors are a good idea, at least to make sure no-one sneaks up on you..

One last rule, don't overtake alan goodman unless you've already bought him several beers.. :D
thought I'd get that in before he did... :D
:D

AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2007 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by fards fards wrote:

One last rule, don't overtake alan goodman unless you've already bought him several beers.. :D
thought I'd get that in before he did... :D
:D

As far as race classes go your Kingcycle will be Open, Unfaired and Sports if you have no fairings, Open, Partly Faired and Sports if you have the tail-fairing and Open, Faired and Street if you have front and rear fairings...
If you put a bag on and are female and under 16 then the laptop will probably explode...

All classes are subject to change if you are in the same class as me and are faster...

Edited by AlanGoodman - 03 June 2007 at 6:27pm
Number 47
gNick View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2007 at 12:34am
Originally posted by BarneyH BarneyH wrote:

So far I've joined BHPC, bought a Kingcycle and done a couple of training rides.

A couple of training rides - good grief that sounds like the entirety of my riding for the last 6 months...

Seriously, welcome to the civilisation of HPV racing.

Regarding number boards, they are as Fards says to be of at least A5 size, though in true HPV fashion they often are not what the rule says. We do, normally give out printed A5 number stickers though I'm not sure we have done it this year. On a Kingcycle the best place to mount the numbers (assuming you don't have a nose cone) is on a board mounted forward of the bottom bracket - a bit of correx (estate agent sign material) and bits of wire can work quite well - or the same bit of correx could be mounted on the bars with cable ties, it does tend to obscure the forward vision a bit though...
gNick

"I'm afraid it's definite, Mrs Banker - your son has bicycles"
NickM View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2007 at 10:05am
Welcome to the Club, Barney Smile

At Hillingdon, we allocated numbers to members racing for the first time when they signed on, and issued them with stick-on printed numbers.

You still need somewhere to stick 'em! (as it were, so to speak) Big smile

On a Kingcycle, it is simple to attach a Correx board via the fairing mounting points on the front derailleur post like this:

OK, it will have to be a bit narrower than A5 to clear the cranks, but nobody will worry as long as it's clearly visible. Correx can be bought from art supply shops. It comes in Kingcycle yellow, too!

If you don't have a tailbox, you could do what I did and make a loop of wire (from an old mudguard stay, perhaps), bolt it to a rear mudguard eye and stick or zip-tie a Correx board to that.

HP Velotechnik chainring guards (in German, "Rammschutz Kettenblattabdeckung"!) work well on Kingcycles (as pictured), but require you to remove the bottom bracket to fit them, and are fiddly to set up with the standard 52T big ring. Available from Bikefix, among others.

I made a chainring guard for my new bike out of a cork tile, spaced with sections from wine bottle corks (hic!) and attached with zip ties.

Edited by NickM - 04 June 2007 at 12:36pm
fards View Drop Down
Visitor (regular)
Visitor (regular)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2007 at 10:35am
ICE do a pretty neat chainguard as well.

http://ice.hpv.co.uk/standard_trikes/accessories.htm#chain_ring_guard

NickM View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2007 at 10:54am
Originally posted by fards fards wrote:

ICE do a pretty neat chainguard as well.

http://ice.hpv.co.uk/standard_trikes/accessories.htm#chain_ring_guard

...but nice as these are, I have a suspicion that they may be difficult to fit to a Kingcycle bottom bracket shell, there being insufficient flat clamping surface available because of the welds that join the main tubes to the shell.
BarneyH View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2007 at 7:32pm
Thanks for all the responses - I think I know what to do so hopefully see you all at Darley Moor with some form of unfaired Kingcycle with bits of white plastic stuck on in various places.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic