BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Building
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Help - Battle Mountain camera / electronics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2021 at 2:28pm
Many thanks - I haven't looked at the Samsung Gear VR so I'll look at that too
Yes to definitely staying away from wireless
I like the goggles idea too because of possible depth perception benefits - I just think it will be expensive to make work. (ie two lots of FPV goggles at £450 each...)
Russ

ps with two screens inside the bike, you'd only actually look at one - the other is there purely as a backup. I'd think an 8-9" screen as the main one in direct line of sight (approx 250mm from the riders face), with a backup 4-5" mounted above.
Twisty View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twisty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2021 at 3:51pm

Yeah you may find the goggles approach gets too complex and expensive.

2x Raspberry Pi boards, camera, displays seems like the easiest way to go about things.

If you go down that roue there are some good Raspberry forums that I am sure will provide you will lots of help and support

-        Camera

o   You perhaps ideally want humanish ~45deg angle of view for the primary display and could maybe have wider view for the secondary display.

o   You probably won’t see much benefit going greater more than 1080p/30 resolution/frame rate. Pushing more pixels mean more data demands, power/heat etc. Quality of optics and dynamic range of the sensor are a bit more important.

o   the stock V2 camera module may suit your purposes well. The V2 camera module has fairly wide angle of view but it crops for various video modes https://elinux.org/Rpi_Camera_Module#Technical_Parameters_.28v.2_board.29

o   There is a unit with a higher spec sensor – you can use with a variety of lenses (different angle of view etc) and has more mounting options https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-camera/products/raspberry-pi-high-quality-camera-module

-        Board: You probably want to use a Pi 4 model B or a Pi Zero W/WH. Both should be capable of dealing with something like 1080p without latency issues. The Pi4 is larger, has more compute power, and more connectors including a DSI display connector.

-        Display: You’ve effectively got two connection options: DSI or HDMI

o   DSI is attractive in terms of is a cleaner more physically secure combined power & data connector, cheaper, lower power. However, you’re essentially limited to  800 x 480 resolution - probably fine for a secondary display at least. I've run driving sim at that simulation and it is OK. You might want more for the primary display though.

o   HDMI you can use a wide range of screens 1080p etc, you probably want to use a 5V/USB powered one so you can share the same supply as the Pi.

-        Overall I’d be super paranoid with how everything is mounted, wired and connected. Making sure components are secure and reasonably damped from vibrations, connecters can’t come out, sweat/condensation can’t get into electronics etc.

Edited by Twisty - 07 October 2021 at 4:55pm
russellbridge View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2021 at 4:49pm
Many thanks - I'll sit down in a dark room and try to digest the above in the next few days.
When you say Blackberry Pi, do you mean Raspberry Pi or is this something else?
Thanks
Russ
Twisty View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twisty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2021 at 4:55pm
Oops, I got my berrys mixed up. Edited my post Embarrassed

Edited by Twisty - 07 October 2021 at 4:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic