BHPC Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Riding > Etc
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Help a newbie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slave to the Viking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help a newbie
    Posted: 09 March 2021 at 12:22am
Howdy folks.

So, I'm after a recumbent bike, as I have been for the majority of my adult life. I've had a brief play, and loved them as much as I thought I would!

I want an all-round loadable workhorse - Street Machine, Six/Max, Gaucho, that sort of thing. I can read reviews and get ideas (and indeed I have), but I'd like to know where I can try things out. I've not tried USS, for example, but I really like the idea so want to give it a bash.

Although I think I've found a way to try out a Streetmachine, I get the impression that the Six is essentially someone else's version of that concept and so - understandably - behaves differently. And I'd like to find out if I prefer one over the other - although one may not be definitively better or worse, the ergonomics of one is likely to suit me more than the other, obviously.

So...what thoughts? Is there anywhere which is likely to have a selection of touring machines to try out and compare? Or are there conventions and/or shows in the offing (I know, silly question right now!) where I might get to have a play? I'm in Yorkshire, but will travel (when such things are permitted).

Cheers!
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2021 at 5:54pm
I'd say have a chat with Kevin at D-Tek, he's based near to Ely in Cambridgeshire.
Very nice chap who knows his stuff and always has a selection of machines.
I'm sure he'll be along here soon himself to let you know what hew has available...

D.TEK View Drop Down
Visitor (regular)
Visitor (regular)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D.TEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2021 at 6:23pm
Lets have a chat through you ideas and expectations .
It would be usefull to know your current weight and height and jean leg length .
Some folk are 6 foot 12 and others are 5ft zero ...the max weight 35 stone ...oh the last one was actually  a real challenge  
Your postal code will also flag up your local riding terrain ......pure tarmac   or perhaps trails and tracks ?
Opening trick test question ........ comfort or speed ....which one would you choose ??
The answer is both 
Anyway my number is 01353 648177 

D.TEK HPVS purveyors of recumbent trikes and cycles
Slave to the Viking View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slave to the Viking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2021 at 12:08am
Alrighty...a generous 6'4", a generous 16 stone and a generous 34" leg. That's enough generosity for now - I'll end up getting my Yorkshire credentials revoked. HG5's the current locale; not pure tarmac by any means (and in truth, the tarmac itself isn't oftem all that pure). I'm a few seconds from a bridleway, and bouncy farm tracks really aren't all that uncommon.

Comfort or speed...well, obviously I'd appreciate both, as you say. Were I to have to choose though, 'twould be the former.

I'll endeavour to give you a bell, see what we'll see.

Cheers,

Jacob
jpa View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2021 at 8:10pm
Hi . . new here, and not yet a recumbent rider. I cycle a lot - commuting and occasional recreational riding, on a Pashley Moulton APB and until today a Dawes Galaxy DF Tourer.

Is anyone able to suggest how I could get a test ride on a recumbent (bike, not trike) in Cheltenham / Gloucestershire area? I do not yet know if I want to invest in a new or still expensive second hand machine, if I then found out that I hated the experience...

I'm sure many people here will have had the same dilemma.. it would be great to know how you resolved this?

Best Regards

john./
Woolly Hat View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woolly Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2021 at 8:18am
Hi John,

Race meetings are usually a good place to start and that's where I got my first experiences on a kingcycle and speedy. Unfortunately in the current conditions, the next race meeting is a way off still but if any members are in your area, maybe you could meet up and have a go when restrictions are lifted?

I would suggest to start in an empty car park or similar wide area just in case you're a bit wobbly getting going. Having plenty of space is a confidence booster compared to trying one on the road for the first time.

Colin
Ross Low Racer 77 - beware of unexpected changes of direction
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2021 at 8:27am
Originally posted by Woolly Hat Woolly Hat wrote:

Hi John,
 Unfortunately in the current conditions, the next race meeting is a way off

We start racing again on the 16th May at Hillingdon.

Slave to the Viking View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Slave to the Viking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2021 at 11:05pm
Hi there John,

This is almost definitely of no help in the short term, but...well, I happened to be going to Scotland, so I made a point of calling in on Laid Back Bikes in Edinburgh and rode a few things. That's how I auditioned the concept of recumbents.

I know you're nowhere near Edinburgh, but then neither am I!

Best of luck...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic