BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Any Other Business
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Home build idlers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarneyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home build idlers
    Posted: 05 February 2021 at 7:05pm
Advice required from homebuilders / engineers.

If I'm going to have a go at making my own idlers is there a particular plastic recommended - I'm looking at Delrin or Acetal anything else better? HDPE / PEEK / NYLON 

All advice welcome before I commit to buying blanks and putting them in a lathe.

Barney

Edited by BarneyH - 05 February 2021 at 7:05pm
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2021 at 7:13pm
Bruvver Dave made his out of old skateboard wheels but he’s a bodger. :)

BarneyH View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarneyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2021 at 7:30pm
I've got some bodging industrial pulleys that are better than skate wheels but looking to go one step better.

Edited by BarneyH - 05 February 2021 at 7:30pm
GeoffBird View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2021 at 3:26pm
I've used nylon (PA or polyamide) before. The first ones I used were PU skateboard wheels with grooves cut in them (try a 3/8" chisel and cut the whole groove at the same time. Also, putting the part in the freezer overnight helps apparently) - this in the mid-90s - they are still going strong! 80-90 shore PU is very tough! PU is also noticeably quieter than PA. HDPE might be okay. I would think acetal and PEEK are too hard and therefore noisy and damaging to the chain, and PEEK is ferociously expensive.

I'd try nylon or skate wheels, but if you are chasing efficiency (and quietness), use a sprocket on the tension run, perhaps with ABS or HDPE side plates. Be aware that nylon (and many other plastics) are hygroscopic, so your carefully turned N7 bearing housing might become a D7 (stick in a bucket) if it dries out!

Unless you want something special or you are very strapped for cash, buying one is the sensible option. But maybe you just want the challenge?

Edited by GeoffBird - 06 February 2021 at 3:36pm
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic