BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Building
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Fork change

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KM2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fork change
    Posted: 04 March 2017 at 6:41pm
I'm hoping to change the kingcycle forks for a set of forks with a little more clearance. How do you remove the steering riser without damaging it, so I can then remove the forks and possibly change the headset?
Thanks
danielv View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danielv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 11:55am
hi, if you look underneath the headset at the top of the fork you will see a bolt.  If you have rim brakes (hydraulic or cable) this is used to secure the brake to the front fork.  Undo this bolt and be sure to keep all the bits safe.  You will now be able to rotate the fork and remove it from the frame.  Now unscrew the collar at the top of the headset with a spanner and this will allow you to remove the stem from the headset.  I've just done the same to my KC.
Daniel Vinson
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 11:21pm
They are a bit prone to getting stuck and people have resorted to hammers and even hacksaws unfortunately...

KM2 View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KM2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2017 at 4:50pm
Thanks. I should have used the handlebars as a lever. I expected it to drop out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic