BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archive (pre-February 2015) > Public Archive > The BHPC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Forum LockedOpen university project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cranked forward jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Open university project
    Posted: 11 April 2011 at 11:12pm
Hello to everyone,

I hope someone can help with my university project by giving some idea as to the size of the recumbent market and in particular the semi-recumbent market in the U.K. (or where to find such information). I would be grateful for any information to be honest.

I am interested in taking this on as a new hobby and have nearly finished my first attempt at making a semi-recumbent.

I am experiencing difficulty in up-loading a photo perhaps it is because I am a new member.
Shame about that.
James.

GeoffBird View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2011 at 11:59pm
Hi James. As an ex fellow OU student, I feel honour-bound to try to help. Smile

I would think that the market for semi-recumbent bikes in the UK is tiny. I know our local bike shop had a Giant Revive that remained unsold for a long time. There seems to be a fairly healthy market for recumbent trikes though, but, apart from talking to the guy who runs Future Cycles recently, I am not close to the retail sharp-end. Anyone else? Everyone seems to want road bikes at the moment.

Maybe worth talking to Stuart at Bikefix in London?

Edited by GeoffBird - 12 April 2011 at 12:02am
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2011 at 8:12am
Hi James,
I've sent a PM - If you email the pictures to me I'll post them for you.

Coming along to any BHPC race event (first one is at Hillingdon this coming Sunday) will give you a great chance to look at various machines and talk to the assembled loonies riders...

cranked forward jim View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cranked forward jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 10:58pm
Cheers Folks,
I am very happy to agree with you about the UK market, it does seem to be tiny, although I still have to go through the exercise, find out how small it is and achieve some points for my course. The course is T307 with the open university and it is all about design and innovation, I have a project to complete and I chose to design a bolt on conversion kit which will turn an ordinary mountain bike into a crank forward semi-recumbent. The nearest thing to this is the RANS conversion kit to turn a mountain bike into a front wheel drive SWB recumbent. I have built a crude "feel and function" prototype, it rides very nicely and points the way to better designs as there are many options to be explored. I would like to visit your event at Hillingdon and possibly bring the prototype for your amusement. LOL
I have ridden the prototype into work and it has caused quite a stir amongst my colleagues but to have your comment and reaction will help me with my project.
Best regards,
James.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 11:02pm
If you're coming along anyway James, stick some numbers on it and take it round the track... A word of warning though - It is addictive... Big smile

GeoffBird View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoffBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 11:09pm
Would be great to see you and your bike at Hillingdon James
Right Time - Right Place - Wrong Speed
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cranked forward jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 11:13pm
Just looked at a Giant Revive, what a great looking bike for $700 so why didn't it sell?Confused
Perhaps the British public are too concerned with image to buy anything radical, peer pressure if you like. Does anyone here feel self concious when they take their recumbent onto the road? Initially I did but I soon got over it.
James.
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cranked forward jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 11:16pm
I'll come in last, use a calendar to time me!!!
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 11:23pm

Somebody has to be last... and I'm not racing this week so this could be your big chance... LOL

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic