BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > BHPC Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Fowlmead, 27th & 28th August

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2011 at 10:54pm
Altered the 30 mins and 10 mins to be the same distance as suggested by Andrew (different to previous years!) with 1.5 and 2 km.  2 hour was exactly the same distance as what has been used previously - I have adjusted it from that distance of 2.17 to 2.15 miles (which was the lap distance measured by Alan Goodman on the day)  If anyone has better lap distances, I am happy to use them. 

Also adjusted Mike's day one race one result

Regards

Kevin

Edited by KevinJ - 29 August 2011 at 11:18pm
Kevin Jenkins

Windcheetah
KeithD View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeithD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2011 at 11:37pm
Thanks to Jon and Ann for organising, and to everyone else who helped out or cheered on! Despite not having done much riding this year (something that was very apparent in the 2Hr race!) I'd some good racing with Claire, DaveT, Neil and Nick at the weekend. 

I think it is one of the best courses - even if it is a bit on the flat side ;-) and the BMX course was a lot of fun!

As for distances, my GPS measured the lap distances:

Round 1: 0.85 miles / 1.36 km
Round 2: 1.31 miles / 2.10 km
Round 3: 2.04 miles / 3.28 km

If these are a bit lower than expected, it might be down to my racing line!

AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2011 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by KeithD KeithD wrote:

the BMX course was a lot of fun!

That was scary just watching!!

It could well be the event that sorts the men out from the boys at WC2012... LOL

KevinJ View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2011 at 11:56pm
Thanks Keith - updated it to the distances you suggested.  If people want to quibble then feel free - though I am not making any more updates for the distance in the results - makes no difference to the points
Kevin Jenkins

Windcheetah
Adrian Setter View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Setter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 11:00am
Thanks for all that, Kevin.  I imagine Keith's measurements are likely to be the most accurate we have* (and better than we have for most tracks other than the velodromes).  The good thing from my point of view is that Mike and Andrew no longer look to have got suddenly so fast I could never even dream of keeping up.  Instead I can have nightmares about the effort I'll have to put in trying...

I'd like to add my thanks also to Jon and Anne, Sherri and everyone else who lent a hand over the weekend, and to those who've taken kit for transportation to Shrewsbury. 

* I'm not sure exactly of the method that GPS sets use to measure speed/distance covered.  If what you're measuring isn't a straight line, is it likely to be a slight underestimate (approximating the curve as a series of straight lines between logged points) and possibly to vary in the degree of underestimation depending on the frequency that points are logged? 
Challenge Hurricane - MicWic Delta (Front half) - Burrows Ratracer
KevinJ View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 1:24pm
With regard to GPS distances (at least for the Garmin) - as you said Adrian, my experience is it under estimates rather than over estimates (circle perimeter is longer than an inscribed polygon).  One thing with changing the distances is you have to be careful comparing your results to previous years.
Kevin Jenkins

Windcheetah
JDub View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 6:54pm
Thanks from me too. Particularly enjoyd the 2 hour. Could have carried on!
jdub... Got the T-shirt
http://s1127.photobucket.com/user/Protobikes/library
http://protobikes.org.uk/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150386999@N02/

liggertoy View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote liggertoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 7:40pm
We have a good holiday in Kent. Also I enjoyed the races. A bit unfortunate in the rain onSaturday but the race on Sunday was great. I just did not realize we immediately began the 2hour race, but you have waited for me. For me there were a lot of faces that were new to mebut a happy reunion of the other riders. I hope the world championship next year Folmead may continue if other countries do not organize.

If there are riders who come on holiday to Belgium and want to race. I have a large meadowavailable. Our races are on the site: www.hpv.be (not in English)

Regards Rudi Tongue
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 7:45pm
Hi Rudi... You seemed to be going well at Fowlmead! I've just changed your forum status to "BHPC Member" so you should be able to see the member's areas of the forum now...

Alan

blogwat View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blogwat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 9:23am
Hi Alan
just to let you know I also joined the club last year but my member status does not show this don't know what benefits I gain or lose just wondered if my status could be changed maybe I would get more responce from it.
Thanks .
Jeff.
when your up to your waist in aligators they forget to tell you you've got to clear the swamp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic