BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > BHPC Events
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2021 Rounds 10&11: Gravesend, Sat-Sun 25-26 Sept
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

2021 Rounds 10&11: Gravesend, Sat-Sun 25-26 Sept

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yostumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2021 at 7:34am
speaking of timing systems, why do we use stopwatch for TT, not timing gear.? Or do both get used? Not that I’ll ever be anything other than   S.   L.   O.   W
Great weekend btw, thanks all. 

Edited by yostumpy - 27 September 2021 at 7:35am
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2021 at 7:55am
We did use the timing system for the TT but we also timed it manually as a backup.

Andrew S View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Andrew S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2021 at 9:28am
Originally posted by yostumpy yostumpy wrote:

speaking of timing systems, why do we use stopwatch for TT, not timing gear.?
We actually use the timing software but not the timing tags. Starts and stops are recorded by mouse click rather than by reading tags. The problem with tags in time-trials is spurious tag reads from riders in the queue waiting to start. There is a Time Trial Mode which avoids this but it requires riders to be in a known sequence and strict send-off times. We tried it at Preston - it worked but the rigidity didn't feel very 'BHPC' and isn't any simpler than manual entry.

As Alan says, the stopwatches are there as a backup. Yesterday we actually needed them for the first three riders because I forgot to press the Big Green Start Button in time. Embarrassed
Kim View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2021 at 11:00am
The real advantage of CrossMgr's Time Trial Mode is that it doesn't require humans to pay attention to who's out on the course and read people's race numbers.  This becomes more important if there are a lot of riders (a large event, or if the time trial consists of more than one lap), not a lot of organisers, or if the nature of the track means there isn't very much time between spotting a rider approaching and them crossing the line.

However, the cat-herding requirement for everyone to stick to a programmed start order seems to cancel out a lot of these advantages.

There is a mode where it can start timing based on tag reads, but as Andrew says, that would mean a tag exclusion zone around the timing system for the duration of the event.  Plausible at some tracks, impossible at others.

The ideal solution would be if the system could start people by manual button press and record their finish with the tags, but the software developers are from proper cycling clubs who consider pre-published start times to be normal and ordinary, so don't seem interested in adding that feature.  Alas, my Python skills are non-existent (and I've been a little busy with developing other aspects of our timing system).

It's always prudent to use stopwatches as a backup.  People press the wrong button, generators splutter to a halt, cables get tripped over, software that has previously behaved impeccably decides to crash at awkward moments, etc...

Edited by Kim - 27 September 2021 at 11:05am
Andrew S View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2021 at 10:06pm
Do any of the people who were lurking ghoulishly around the tight corners at the bottom of the hill in the fast 60-min race on Sunday have any pictures they would like to share, maybe on Facebook or Flickr, or even here if you can master uploading photos?

I'd particularly like to see how close Slash was to grounding the fairing on the Beano on the last bend before the uphill. It looked like just a inch or two from the couple of times I tailed him round but, to be fair, I was concentrating on getting round myself rather than on Slash's lean angle.

Edited by Andrew S - 27 September 2021 at 10:07pm
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2021 at 10:10pm
Have a look at the pictures I posted of Liam to Facebook on Saturday… I’ll email a couple in a bit.

russellbridge View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2021 at 10:21pm
2 x stills taken from my video (see link in earlier post), photoshop'd together and then angles measured in CAD:

Slash at 55° from horizontal
Andrew at 53.6° from horizontal

Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2021 at 10:31pm
Great picture Russ!!
The white line was left by the Milan on Saturday when it had a mishap going the other way round.

flyinerin View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyinerin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2021 at 11:31pm
I have some good lean angle pictures. I shall endeavour to get them uploaded tomorrow.
flyinerin View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyinerin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2021 at 9:10am
http://www.dropbox.com/sh/2dfnuhjqti6bxom/AAAdiPkr2FYfjQ_CE5b0VcCma?dl=0

If anyone wants a higher resolution image, drop me a line and I will email it over.

Edited by flyinerin - 28 September 2021 at 9:12am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic