BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Building
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Front or rear wheel drive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robh24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front or rear wheel drive
    Posted: 02 July 2020 at 11:23am
Hi, im starting to build a recumbent after 20 years of not getting round to it. It will be mid to low, mainly track focused

I was wondering what are the pros and cons for which wheel is driven

Thanks
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 6:15pm
Front Wheel drive loses traction unless you are heavy.
Fell off a lot when I had FWD Wasp. Hill starts are a no go for any FWD.
All the best.
Roy
atlas_shrugged View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlas_shrugged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 6:28pm
Have a look at LBC issue 138 page 12. There is an example of a homemade bamboo bike with FWD. Roy is right about traction with hill starts. At Nandax WC2019 this bamboo bike went very fast and the builder was on the podium. There were quite serious hills to get up at Nandax. Just from memory the other female rider who was on the podium also used front wheel drive.
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 7:51pm
Yes, I'll bet they were all heavier than me Brian.
All the best.
Roy
robh24 View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robh24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 8:19pm
Does front wheel drive effect the steering much or sap power
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 8:35pm
I think it's very slightly more efficient power wise. Yes it defiantly affects the steering. Causes understeer when you lay on the power. Can be helpful when you want to turn the bike a bit more sharply though.
All the best.
Roy
Balor View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2020 at 6:55pm
FWD MBB is rather tricky - it has 'double flop' and a ton of steering inertia that require getting used to. Still, 'DF-sized' chain and stiff drivetrain cannot be beat, and if you play around with geometry you can minimise the negatives.

robh24 View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robh24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2020 at 8:37am
Does front wheel drive end up much lighter? Is there any real advantage? I was thinking maybe chain routing but both have there issues as well
Balor View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2020 at 3:53pm
Since chain forces are contained into a smaller structure that is more capable of resisting forces FWD should have power delivery advantage vs RWD. Less weight of the chain, of course, and ease of it's routing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic