BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > Other non-BHPC events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Ft per hour challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 12:55pm
Results so far:
Mike (Bournemouth) - 3,114ft
Russ (Manchester) - 2,487ft
Gautier (Paris) - 2,201ft
Andy (Southampton) - 2,142ft
Mark (Chorley) - 2,110ft
Jochen (Sheffield) - 2,092ft
Paul (Birkenhead) - 1,769ft

Bear in mind this may be the only completion we end up doing this year! Get riding and post your results :)

Edited by russellbridge - 24 May 2020 at 1:00pm
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 1:54pm
1078 ft for me Russ.
All the best.
Roy
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 2:45pm
Blast!! I missed this!
Only just seen the post... Might have been interesting on Ivinghoe Beacon but I think I'd have wanted to  it a bit earlier before the crowds arrived...

atlas_shrugged View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlas_shrugged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 9:56am
You guys are pussies. Have you see the video of Denise cycling up Highgate Hill, London with 50kg of shopping on the front of the bike!

Cycling Angels - Denise Williams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQEkzqeW-BQ

P.S. I am only kidding - guys this was a great effort (and to Denise). I must calculate your average power output.

russellbridge View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:10am
Big smile
Strava estimated my power at 210W average inc the downhills, so prob about 230W for the climbs. We did an 'hour of power' the week before and I was at 237W average for an hour from the rear hub power meter on the TT bike.

Alan give it a go this weekend - you're doing LOTS of riding at the moment so I recon you'll be challenging for the lead...

farwer View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farwer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:18am
My Strava power data comes from my power meter (rear hub). It's 263W average.
Jochen

Edited by farwer - 27 May 2020 at 10:19am
farwer View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farwer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:43am
I do remember your 'hourofpower' Russel. Took me a while to figure out what it means. Thought 'hourof' is some kind of food or so
legs_larry View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by farwer farwer wrote:

I do remember your 'hourofpower' Russel. Took me a while to figure out what it means. Thought 'hourof' is some kind of food or so

Hourof.  It's the new quinoa Big smile
====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
atlas_shrugged View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlas_shrugged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 4:08pm
I did a quick mgh calculation for the top three heights and then converted into average power assuming 100kg for rider+bike which gave this:

Mike 258.6 W
Russell 206.6 W
Gautier 182.8 W

Maybe it would be of interest to have the rider plus bike weights for comparison as well as do a 3.281 divide to help out RestOfTheWorld cos I reckon @farwar needs to oil his chain ;)

farwer View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farwer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 4:32pm
Interestingly the chain friction is not included in that power as the power meter is hub based. Anything happening before power is going into the back wheel is ignored.

Russel's power per lb is most likely higher than mine as my body weight is 201lb. For the hill race in Germany three years ago I removed 16lb and that had helped. So Russel you have to give me more time to prepare next time LOL

The Speedmachine's weight is not too bad. After I had bought it I put lighter wheels on and replaced the standard seat by a carbon fibre seat, so weight is now 32lb.

Good idea using metric units Thumbs Up

Jochen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic