BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > Other non-BHPC events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Battle Mountain 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brucey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2019 at 4:51pm
sorry, slip of the brain; the track I was thinking of is Millbrook, not MIRA.  Not sure what the high speed track is like at MIRA; I don't think it is a banked track like at Millbrook.

cheers
legs_larry View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2019 at 7:56am
Scrutiny of Google maps shows some kind of circuit here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunton_Technical_Centre.  I think there might be something at the Jaguar Land-Rover facility at Gaydon, Warkwickshire, but I ate'nt sure.  Perchance Geoff or Twed might know?

Edit:  the banked high-speed track at MIRA has been used for at least one HPV hour attempt in the the dim and distant.  The motorised types have lapped it at speeds in excess of 160 mph.

Edited by legs_larry - 17 September 2019 at 7:59am
====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
speedy381 View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2019 at 6:25pm
I've just caught up with Mr Larringtons scribblings and would like to thank Dave for all his words. I think you are getting even better at ritting and I enjoyed every entry. Great stuff. Russ, your patience must be tested. Well done to all.
Bream no longer. I'll ride anything, slowly
russellbridge View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2019 at 8:06pm
To be fair I really enjoyed the week. Yes it was frustrating not to run at the speed the bike was capable of, but we did a good job to turn the bike round in four days and get it ride-able by Saturday - the windy run on Saturday (when all other teams scratched or crashed) was testament that we were going in the right direction with the re-design.  We were up to 47mph on this run but I got a bit flustered due to wind/terror/wobbly-screens/other-excuses and braked at the wrong flags (start of traps vs end of traps - der) so the official speed was 42mph - for reference Andrea (Italian male rider) only went through at 48mph in the slightly less windy following session. The 8 uni students who came with us got far far more out of the week that if we'd have bought a fully working bike, and they all seemed thoroughly happy/exhausted/tested/exhilarated by Sunday...

The only time my patience was really tested was during the hour long tat give-away in the Saturday night dinner - you don't get that at the Olympics! I was bored so I drew a sketch of Dave looking bored - I suspect he was writing something about a unicorn horn...

Agreed re the automatic musings, very enjoyable LOL

Edited by russellbridge - 18 September 2019 at 8:06pm
Brucey View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brucey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2019 at 9:29am

shows the MIRA facility.  Are the corners on the high speed track banked, in an HPV friendly way, I wonder?   This photo shows the facility but it isn't clear if the high speed track is banked or not

cheers

Edited by Brucey - 19 September 2019 at 10:56pm
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2019 at 1:54am
Yes, it is banked - I've seen pictures. The motoring comics used to use it for testing before Millbrook was built, though they tended to go to Germany to max anything faster than 150 mph. IIRC Jaguar test driver Norman Dewis still holds the lap record at ~161 mph in the XJ13 prototype.

One of the Crane cousins set an hour record there in one of the later iterations of Bluebell. Latterly they became very paranoid about security and feared that visitors would snap pictures of top-SEEKRIT prototypes and flog them to the said motoring comics.
====================

russellbridge View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2020 at 4:45pm
Youtube video I've put together showing my time at Battle Mountain in September last year.
Apologies it's taken so long - work, life, house building, dog-buying, daughter breaking leg, daughter breaking wrist (yes the same one) etc etc got in the way...
Russ

Edited by russellbridge - 17 March 2020 at 4:52pm
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2020 at 1:01pm
Ta, Russ. I shall watch at my leisure. No news about 2020 yet but I fear my usual gallivanting about Leftpondia either side of the event may be curtailed even if the event does go ahead. Bah!
====================

BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2020 at 10:36am
New thread for 2020 not started as I've just learned it's been cancelled.  Bah!
====================

AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2020 at 11:48am
Ridiculous!!
Surely they could have just administered Dettol injections to all competitors? 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic