BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Building
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

406 tubeless rims

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LWaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 406 tubeless rims
    Posted: 28 May 2019 at 11:12pm
The young lady wants me to convert her Moulton to tubeless. Schwalbe Pro One look to be suitable but I don't know of tubeless-compatible rims for 406-28 tyres. What rims are out there and who has played with tubeless 406 stuff already? I'm reasonably happy coping with 700C tubeless but are there traps for the unwary player trying with 406?
legs_larry View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 12:24pm
I remember Paolo Baldissera having hours of fun trying to get 406 Pro Ones to stay seated at Battle Mountain in 2017, though I think he eventually succeeded.  He reckoned they hadn't been unfolded for long enough to straighten the beads out properly. I don't know what the rims were, though.
====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 1:19pm
Ginkgo have nice tubless 406 rims. Be warned though the difference that makes the tyres themselves tubeless is that they have carbon fibre beads that don't stretch and that makes them harder to put on the rim especially on the smaller diameters. (Ask Chris) Good tyres though.

Probably a good idea to get one of those tools that give more leverage for putting on tyres.

Roy

Edited by RoyMacdonald - 29 May 2019 at 1:23pm
farwer View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote farwer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 1:37pm
Not sure whether it works on tubeless tyres but I use the 'Kool Stop Tyre Mate' and never had any problems with the narrow 406 tyres since. There are similar models from other companies as well.

Jochen
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 4:01pm
Yes that's what I have.

Roy
Kim View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 10:39pm
FWIW, I've had no real problems with Pro One (admittedly using a lightweight inner tube) on a 406 Kinlin XR240. It's a bit on the tight side, but it goes on just fine.

OTOH, I've yet to manage to get one to seat on a 559 rim successfully. I've tried three different rims and two different rim tapes, lubrication, harsh language, massive overpressure, getting a replacement tyre because by that point I was sure it was a manufacturing defect, etc. I've given up and gone back to Durano. If anyone knows of a combination that actually works, I'd be interested to hear about it...
LWaB View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LWaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 6:39am
The only rims I've found to date that might fit the bill are
https://www.ginkgo-veloteile.de/ginkgoshop/en/Wheel-Accessories/Rims/Rims-20-Inch-406-mm/Gingko-21-406-tubeless-282gr.html
and
http://store.velocityusa.com/p/a23-20-406-msw/rims_recumbent_20-406?pp=12

Has anybody here actually used either of these rims tubeless?
LWaB View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LWaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 7:23am
I have about a dozen different types of tyre levers, including 3 types of tyre jacks. I also recommend tyre jacks for fitting tight narrow tyres but the IceTools Pincers broke the first time I tried them.

Is there a problem of small tubeless tyres being less effective in real world use because of a lack of air volume or sealant volume, when compared to big wheels?
MatthewLR View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MatthewLR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2019 at 8:58pm
I have ridden tubeless for over a year on non tubeless 406 rims without any trouble. It may not work on all rims but I use ICE standard Jet Set and Alex DA16/22 rims with schwalbe rim tape and valves. The only issue I had setting it up was the tyre not initially sealing well enough to blow onto the rim, once its up once its will inflate easily. This was fixed on my second set of tyres by simply using two wraps of rim tape. As a test dummy for this set-up I have run them with pressures as low as 20psi without any trouble in the corners (other than understeer). Happy to give more details of my setup if you like.
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2019 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by LWaB LWaB wrote:

I have about a dozen different types of tyre levers, including 3 types of tyre jacks. I also recommend tyre jacks for fitting tight narrow tyres but the IceTools Pincers broke the first time I tried them.

Is there a problem of small tubeless tyres being less effective in real world use because of a lack of air volume or sealant volume, when compared to big wheels?

Daniel Fenn and Richard and Veronika Schaffenroth all had 406 tubless on the front wheels of their Velomobiles and I know Richard had a puncture on the ride back to the camp site that sealed straight away.

I'm on my second season third tyre of running a Schwalbe Pro 1 with a lightweight tube  on the back of my Kingcycle. 28 - 540 and that goes on reasonably easily and seats well without issue. Grips well on the track and road. 

Roy

Edited by RoyMacdonald - 04 June 2019 at 4:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic