BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Riding > Etc
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Dartford Crossing with a velomobile

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antonin_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dartford Crossing with a velomobile
    Posted: 20 May 2019 at 8:34pm
I am thinking of cycling to the Redbridge race (14th July) on my way back from France, coming from the Dieppe-Newhaven ferry. Therefore I am wondering how to cross the Thames estuary!

It seems that the Dartford crossing can be used with a Quest, thanks to the useful feedback of a velonaut I am sure many will recognize:
https://realcycling.blogspot.com/2009/05/thames-crossings-21-and-32-dartford.html (see the comments section).

I wonder if this is still current? (I don't have the velonaut's contact details so I cannot ask him directly if he has done other attempts).
Sadly the Tilbury Ferry is not running on Sundays and it looks too small for a velomobile anyway (although bicycles are allowed).
The Woolwich ferry opens too late on Sundays (11:30) for me to get to the race on time, but maybe the Woolwich foot tunnel could work? Cycles are allowed in it, but I am not sure if a velomobile fits in the lifts?

If I do attempt the stunt, I will report the results here…

Edited by antonin_d - 20 May 2019 at 8:52pm
atlas_shrugged View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlas_shrugged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 9:47am
I know John W. uses the nearby Greenwich foot tunnel with his Quest so I asked him these questions:

Can you get a Quest Velomobile in the Greenwich Foot tunnel lift on a Sunday?

What time does the Greenwich foot tunnel open on a Sunday (he is travelling 14-July)?

John W. replied:

the tunnel is open 24/7 as far as I know, the Quest fits in fine with room to spare. That sounds like a nice trip.
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlas_shrugged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 10:11am
One other possibility would be to put the Quest on a ThamesLink train (which runs from Brighton):

Either Gatwick or East Croydon to

Finsbury Park

The Quest would fit in the Cycle section of a ThamesLink train but I do not know about lift space on these stations or Thameslink policies about transporting velomobiles on a Sunday

RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 3:35pm
John W has also cycled through the Rotherhythe tunnel. There is a video on YouTube somewhere.

Roy

Edited by RoyMacdonald - 21 May 2019 at 3:35pm
ChrisH View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:14pm
[QUOTE=antonin_d]
I am thinking of cycling to the Redbridge race (14th July) on my way back from France, coming from the Dieppe-Newhaven ferry. 
[/QUOTE

It seems like every time you enter a BHPC race you challenge your self to cycle their from an even more distant destination.  Smile

Kim View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by RoyMacdonald RoyMacdonald wrote:

John W has also cycled through the Rotherhythe tunnel. There is a video on YouTube somewhere.

That one's eminently cycleable as long as you have broken-door-mirror-proof tyres and can cycle at a reasonable speed up a 2.8% gradient while breathing exhaust fumes.

IME it's much less stressful on a bike than when driving a car, though in the interests of disclosure it was somebody else's car and I hadn't fully got the hang of the width yet.

Edited by kim - 21 May 2019 at 11:24pm
antonin_d View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antonin_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 8:22pm
Wow that's super useful, thank you all!

It would be funny to use trains, I never thought about it with the velomobile. But I have plenty of time to use up (the ferry arrives in Brighton at 4am…) so I think I'll try one of the tunnels, it should be fun!
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlas_shrugged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 1:17pm
Hey Velonaughts,

My guess is if the Newhaven - Dieppe ferry crossing is being used then some use will also be made of the Avenue-Verte (cycle track using an old disused railway).

It would be fantastic to take some photos along this route and maybe provide Geoff our editor with a report about how you found this route.

Hopefully we can also encourage the UK to provide similar infrastructure on this side of the channel.

Did I mention about hope?

legs_larry View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 7:40pm
I used the Avenue Vert en route to Paris in 2007.  It was good as far as it went, which wasn't anything like close enough to Paris...
====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
Yanto View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 6:24am
Originally posted by atlas_shrugged atlas_shrugged wrote:

Hey Velonaughts,

My guess is if the Newhaven - Dieppe ferry crossing is being used then some use will also be made of the Avenue-Verte (cycle track using an old disused railway).

It would be fantastic to take some photos along this route and maybe provide Geoff our editor with a report about how you found this route.

Hopefully we can also encourage the UK to provide similar infrastructure on this side of the channel.

Did I mention about hope?

There will be a gaggle of us PBPers doing the Avenue Verte both ways, with scheduled departures into towns/villages/orchards to sample food, wine, beer and cider!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic