BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > Other non-BHPC events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Non-BHPC Races for recumbent exposure!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lohezm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non-BHPC Races for recumbent exposure!
    Posted: 03 April 2019 at 3:25pm
Following a few long, rambling (and probably intoxicated) conversations I had with various people last year :

a) Does anyone know of
b) Is anyone keen to do

...any non-BHPC race that you know does or 'should' accept us laid back folk. Both as an opportunity to race and also do get some club/recumbent publicity. 

Ideas welcome.
atlas_shrugged View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlas_shrugged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2019 at 8:08pm
Can thoroughly recommend the EACH charity rides at Snetterton race track, Norfolk.

They get about 1000 upright cyclists for their rides.

Last year Chris and I went along and we were on the track for about 1 hour but neither of us saw the other.

atlas_shrugged View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote atlas_shrugged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2019 at 12:49pm
Details:

Date:

10 May 2019 17:15 - 10 May 2019 20:00
Address: Snetterton Race Circuit
AND they did not complain about velos - but bring a cycle helmet and £10

Edited by atlas_shrugged - 05 April 2019 at 12:52pm
lohezm View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lohezm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 10:59am
I've had an email back from UK Cycling events - not affiliated with BC or other recumbent unfriendly groups! 

https://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk

"All of our road events are recumbent friendly. It would just be the elevation gain as to whether you are comfortable with high levels of elevation gain and descent along a route. Those of particular note would be the Dartmoor Demon which is the hardest one of our events in the calendar. The Peaks Tour and Forest of Bowland are also of note being the hardest with increased elevation across the distance."

If anything is of interest let's get involved! 

fitzer View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fitzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 1:25pm
Hi all, in terms of simple PR there are two rides I do regularly as they are light on regs and great on exposure for the road biased bikes, both being very family orientated social events rather than sportifs.

The Bernardos charity ride in and around Cardiff, varies form 35-50 miles depending on the route they choose that year.... lots of chat amongst the riders and very social.  12/5/19

The "Town v Gown" or fancy-dress race, its a non regulated "ride what you've brung" race held between the criterium races during the Aberystwyth Cycle Fest weekend.  The course is around the old town and along the sea-front, lovely if its sunny.....but not if its not....
In the past the organisers have offered me space to show/discuss/promote recumbents ....the whole town is closed for the weekend and its abig deal for Welsh cycling with most of the UK based pro-teams there.  25th May

Edited by fitzer - 09 April 2019 at 1:27pm
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 1:25pm
Thumbs Up

Audax UK are the other notable one that welcomes recumbents of course... http://www.aukweb.net/

Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 1:27pm
The Hemel Hillbuster has finally agreed to allow recumbents this year but it's the day after the pedal car race at Bruntingthorpe unfortunately.

Edited by AlanGoodman - 09 April 2019 at 1:27pm

lohezm View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lohezm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 2:06pm
Good stuff! At least we have some options. 

I'm keen to do one or two that are little more 'serious' (well not serious, but just not farcical) - so as to show recumbents in the same light as upwrongs and not just a gimmick. 

Maybe the board could choose a handful and organise some small sorties to represent the club - in different parts of the UK? We've need some club stickers and/or tops or something of course. If we could send a few bodies to a few more covered events would be good I think. I'll try and find a medium one for down south in May/June.

M
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2019 at 6:33pm
We have stickers available in the shop - Lee sorted the last lot of clothing for us I think... We could certainly get some more if there was enough call for it.

Kacey View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kacey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2019 at 9:20pm
Hello,

I've just done the Peterborough Flat100, (only the 21m though)! The first 2m were on a very rough foot/bike path, with grass growing up the middle. Otherwise, it was fine, with mostly left hand turns, except for the footbridge over the A47 at Eye which I walked/ rolled over. At the Eye end of this bridge is a slalom barrier, so you have to stand the bike on its rear wheel & walk through, or divert to the nearby roundabout. I only saw one other recumbent - a trike with a trailer, so the rider was really going to have trouble with this barrier.

Timing was with transponders BUT I wasn't logged back in. I also disagreed with the elapsed time posted, but maybe by being back first(short distance riders off last), they just weren't ready. Not too shabby for a 74 year old! As Lance A didn't say " Its all about the bike"!

Kaycey
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic