BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > Etc
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Topic ClosedBetteshanger Update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Betteshanger Update
    Posted: 15 February 2019 at 11:17pm
Had this from Betteshanger. 

As a keen supporter of the Betteshanger Project and regular Park user, I am writing to update you on the status of the project. 

Due to transitional work currently taking place within Hadlow Group we unfortunately need to inform you that there will be a delay in the opening of our new Visitor Centre and Kent Mining Museum. We are working through the implications of this and, as yet, are unable confirm when the new building will open.

We continue to operate the site at Betteshanger, and for the spring/summer season, it will be very much ‘business as usual’. We continue to grow and develop the Kent Mining Museum collection and we will be making improvements to our front of house to ensure our temporary visitor facilities are sufficient to welcome visitors through our busiest months. We will shortly be publishing our programme of events for 2019, which will include a number of member discounts.

I enclose a copy of our statement for your reference and we will keep you informed as and when we have a more clarified position on our new facilities.

Thank you for your continued support of the Betteshanger Project.

AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 5:49pm
It was supposed to be opened before the World Championships last year but reading between the lines they ran out of money.
I doubt it will ever open.

Also given ntheir money-grabbing approach, huge hike in track hire fees, parking fines and unwillingness to co-operate regarding camping I very much doubt we'll be going back there any time soon...

RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 6:34pm
I'm not sure they have the necessary permission for camping Alan. Given the onerous conditions imposed by the council on the permitted camp sites I was surprised there was any at all at Betteshanger for the Worlds. That's how I came to have the German group staying with me. Turned out to be very interesting though.

There are decent camp sites very close by and if people don't mind more of a journey any BHPC member is welcome to camp at my place any time for any reason for free. Unlimited spaces.

It's odd in that use of the track is so expensive to hire but is free for individuals like myself to use. If anyone fancies racing anytime I'm happy to oblige. I'll be taking the Great White there soon if all goes to plan.

Is it OK if I pass on your views to the Betteshanger team to give them some feedback on their marketing of the track?

All the best.

Roy
Andrew S View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 6:39pm
Wasn't it originally opening Easter 2017? I seem to remember when we booked it in autumn 2017 it was already six months late and they said it definitely wouldn't be more than a year late.

According to some grumpy comments on Facebook a few weeks back they closed the cafe last November to allow the new visitor centre to open on 30th March this year. Oh dear...
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 6:45pm
No problem...
Previously we were allowed to camp up near to the track which was fantastic.
Last year we were given an ant-infested slag-heap that was almost impossible to bang tent pegs into.
We also previously had access to the toilets all night without having to pay extra for security staff to be on site.
Vehicle access to the track is now difficult where it used to be easy.
We were charged a lot of money for use of the WigWams which were then just left open to the public.
Basically it used to be great and now it's just not...

RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2020 at 10:07pm
Just to say Betteshanger shut down for the duration of the pandemic.Cry
Roy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2020 at 10:15am
Not a problem. I doubt we’ll ever go back there.
Massive rise in track hire fees put it out of our reach and we weren’t really welcome there last time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic