BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > BHPC Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Race equipment needed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2019 at 2:53pm
No need to flatten batteries or buy expensive battery packs to find out - just need to measure the current draw and do the arithmetic.

Annoyingly I no longer have access to an electric car (the car club have replaced it with a couple of cheaper petrol hybrids). You'd have to leave the 'ignition' on to prevent the 12V battery being depleted, but it would happily run all day like that and wouldn't be spewing fumes.
Andrew S View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2019 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by kim kim wrote:

just need to measure the current draw and do the arithmetic...
Ah, if only: I have the necessary multimeter (and the necessary maths) but not the necessary connectors, pigtails and croc-clips to put the multimeter where it needs to be to measure current. Not insoluble but annoyingly difficult - I should never have left my previous place of work where my office was next door to an electronics workshop overflowing with such riches.
Yanto View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2019 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by HeatherF HeatherF wrote:

Budget:

The quotes we submitted to the insurance company based on a quick look on the web were:

Bell - £18.99
Flags - £15.00
Clock - £3.00 (based on what we bought them for for the worlds)
Stop watches - Chris is dealing with this

I can't find a clock that cheap, where were it (they) bought from?
speedy381 View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2019 at 9:27pm
That clock was rubbish though, a certain lady spent a lot of energy best used for pedalling on pointing and cursing at it.
Bream no longer. I'll ride anything, slowly
HeatherF View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeatherF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2019 at 9:58pm
Clocks were from Wilko, 2 for £6. As far as I remember they worked fine for the worlds and races last year until they were stolen.
Feel free to buy more expensive ones if they are better, that was just the cost on the receipts we submitted to the insurance company.
speedy381 View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2019 at 10:00pm
Maybe it was just the batteries
Bream no longer. I'll ride anything, slowly
hotta View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2019 at 7:50am
I hope to hear soon from the insurance company, I’ll have a new generator and also the solar pack and battery as that was left in my trailer , I am happy to cover the costs as I don’t want the club to lose out , so let me know and I will reimburse The club/person , just glad I didn’t put all the kit in the motorhome.
never stop it hurts less in the end
Andrew S View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Andrew S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Andrew S Andrew S wrote:

Originally posted by kim kim wrote:

just need to measure the current draw and do the arithmetic...
Ah, if only: I have the necessary multimeter (and the necessary maths) but not the necessary connectors, pigtails and croc-clips to put the multimeter where it needs to be to measure current. Not insoluble but annoyingly difficult - I should never have left my previous place of work where my office was next door to an electronics workshop overflowing with such riches.
After much fiddlear**ing about (one of my father's coinings) I have an answer:
  • tag reader draws around 550mA when running all three antennas
  • laptop draws around 2.0A when running the software (and charging its battery)
so about 2.5A to keep everything going, or 15Ah for a six-hour event.

I'm not sure where that leaves us but at least I have an answer.
Kim View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Andrew S Andrew S wrote:

so about 2.5A to keep everything going, or 15Ah for a six-hour event.

I'm not sure where that leaves us but at least I have an answer.

"About the size of a decent e-bike battery."
Andrew S View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 10:44pm

"About the size of a decent e-bike battery."
Capacity-wise maybe but we need 5v, 15v and 19v outputs simultaneously, plus ideally the option to vary the voltages in case we buy different kit.

Edited by Andrew S - 16 February 2019 at 10:45pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic