BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Building
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Drum brake maintenance on velomobiles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antonin_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drum brake maintenance on velomobiles
    Posted: 06 November 2018 at 3:28pm
Hi!

I am now the happy companion of Quest #266 and I discover the joy of drum brakes! Being new to the thing, I have a few questions.

At the moment braking is not very sharp, it takes a while to stop even when riding at relatively slow speeds. The Quest has around 20,000km of use so I assume I could try changing the pads - but it is not an operation that is even mentioned in the maintenance guide for the Quest (they only explain how to oil the mechanism). Is that something worth looking into?

Also, at the moment braking is completely silent until the bikes comes to a stop, at which point there is a fairly loud "SQUEAAAK" noise, which is not exactly reassuring! Any idea what it might be?

Antonin
atlas_shrugged View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote atlas_shrugged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2018 at 8:40pm
Antonin welcome to Velomobile land.

Most velomobile drum brakes are Sturmey Archer - either 70mm or 90mm. They normally last a long time. You would be able to order replacement brake shoes but check with velomobile.nl in case the shoes are a special type.

velomobile.nl have some good maintainance videos so check these for how to remove the front wheels. I will try and get some Quest owners to give a better reply.
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2018 at 9:07pm
I would at least have a look at the shoes and make sure there is plenty of meat on them.
I think you need to drop the whole suspension assembly out to get at them but I never needed to do it and no longer have a velomobile.
The XS I had was fitted with the optional 90mm drums which I understand are significant improvement over the standard 70mm drums. 

Yanto View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Yanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2018 at 9:55am
Firstly congratulations on getting the Quest, it was me who crashed it way back when hence the black nose!

As said above they brakes last a long time and require little maintenance.  However, if these are the original shoes then they have done a lot more than 20,000km so may need replacing.  They can be replaced by removal of the spring washers but it is more normal to replace them by changing the whole back plate assembly, these are available from http://www.velomobiel.nl/ to ensure perfect compatibility, or other sources of them, perhaps https://www.icetrikes.co/ ?

They also could be just glazed and need the glaze removing and the drums slightly roughening.

Whether it's a replacement or de-glaze then the strut has to be dropped by undoing the nuts on top of the wheel well and undoing all the ball joints on the steering plate, then remove the wheel, it is a PITA on an enclosed wheel velomobile!

If you do Facebook then joining https://www.facebook.com/groups/1377023852614508/? ref=bookmarks here will be beneficial as all previous owners are members of the group.
antonin_d View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antonin_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2018 at 5:57pm
Thanks a lot for your replies and sorry for not posting back earlier (somehow email notifications did not get through)!

I have checked the brake shoes: they look thick enough, but a bit glazed indeed! Sanding them a bit helped.
blogwat View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blogwat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2018 at 8:57am
Hi Antonin
here is a link to a vid about changing drum brakes on a Quest it may be of some help to you  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtHP_gHoGfk 
Jeff.
when your up to your waist in aligators they forget to tell you you've got to clear the swamp
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic