BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Any Other Business
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Pashley PDQ boom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IC7 Male Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pashley PDQ boom
    Posted: 27 August 2018 at 9:02pm
Does anyone happen to know if the inner part of the boom (connected to the bottom bracket shell) is made of aluminium or steel?  I'm trying to determine the likelyhood of being able to free off a seized boom on a PDQ thats for sale on ebay.
Thanks,
Gordon.
zoxed View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2018 at 1:09pm
Mine is made of chromed steel, so it would definitely be worth checking it's condition.
D.TEK View Drop Down
Visitor (regular)
Visitor (regular)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D.TEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2018 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by IC7 Male IC7 Male wrote:

Does anyone happen to know if the inner part of the boom (connected to the bottom bracket shell) is made of aluminium or steel?  I'm trying to determine the likelyhood of being able to free off a seized boom on a PDQ thats for sale on ebay.
Thanks,
Gordon.

The PDQ sliding boom (when not corroded Wink) is steel with "catlick" chrome finish Big smile
The main frame is steel with painted outer and bare steel inside the tube .
Pashley the makers  failed to use any form of frame saver on the inside during production Cry
A few owners dealt with this by using Waxoil or similar products .
So "frozen" boom tubes are now very common and a sod to sort out Angry
If yours is stuck up ??? 
You can soak in plus gas or wd40 for a few weeks using the drip drip messy method .
Avoid hammers or mallets or pipe wrenches ….unless you plan on scrapping the PDQ Ouch
Another method .,....,use a pipe freezing kit ...to crack the rust bond within Clap
If you butcher or manage to write off the boom tube assembly whilst attempting a removal ?
All is not lost Big smile
I have used replacements in stock along with lots of other PDQ parts such as seat frames
 + seat covers and steering parts + seat rubber ring doughnut shocker and more besides 
Plus parts for the "daddy long legs spider trike " known as the PDQ3 such as SA drum brake parts and steerer connecting rods with Q/release fittings .
Just for the record ….
The PDQ 3 trike folds and will pop into a Honda Jazz....you don't need a transit van !
  ( Pashley often forgot to mention that when new )
So if your buying a PDQ ask the vendor if the boom slides in and out and its not a hard job to remove.
Otherwise ……...buyer beware !"£$%^
Hope that helps ……..happy to advise on all things PDQ having sold them when brand new .
Cheers Kevin D 

D.TEK HPVS purveyors of recumbent trikes and cycles
IC7 Male View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IC7 Male Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 5:55am
Thanks Kevin, the ad was very much 'oh by the way did I mention the boom is seized?'.  I've done a few seatposts over the years using various methods and decided to steer clear of this one.  A shame as it otherwise looked very smart.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic