BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Racing > Other non-BHPC events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

BATTLE MOUNTAIN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2018 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by legs_larry legs_larry wrote:

In addition to a sturdy carbon-kevlar blend in the shell, most people are using a four- or five-point seat belt.  The Japanese lads fitted them mid-event in 2017 after Shinsuke Kouzai was ejected through the not-large hatch during a crash.

Did his shoes stay behind Dave? Or did he manage to unclip for a bailout? Could have Velcroed himself to the seat. No scrap that idea. Could end up being ejected naked.

Roy
legs_larry View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2018 at 8:58pm
We're on the telly!  Well, sort of.  Not yet found a link to the actual programme yet...
====================

a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
atlas_shrugged View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atlas_shrugged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2018 at 9:35pm
Great footage. Thanks legs_larry for the link.
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 5:14am
Dates for 2019 just announced: WHPSC 2019 September 8th - 14th Battle Mountain, Nevada. Tech inspection and riders/volunteers meeting on Saturday 7th.  An extra day, as if we weren't already dead on our feet by Thursday...
====================

RoyMacdonald View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyMacdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2018 at 9:28pm
Back in the 30's they had a 10 man diamond frame bike that was reputed to have reached 100mph on Hearne Hill Velodrome before the Velodrome motor paced events were restricted in speed. I have a picture of it and that shows the first rider pushed a small chainring that connected to the second riders larger chainring and so on until the 10th riders chainring was huge. It was built to do the motor paced events without using petrol for a motorbike.

Could something like that be used to set a record at Battle Mountain?

Roy
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote legs_larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2018 at 10:32am
A human-powered bus has been suggested in the past, but there's probably a point where diminishing returns sets in.  The whole multi-rider class has been mostly neglected for decades with the current record being the last holdout of One Man And His Shed viz. my grate frend Larry Lem.  Tandem bicycles are a b****r to launch; I'm sure I did myself permanent damage when the Double Gold Rush fell over on me.

Edited by legs_larry - 28 December 2018 at 10:33am
====================

russellbridge View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2019 at 11:53pm
I'm working with LSBU again with a goal to return to Battle Mountain this September.  My role from 250 miles away is fairly limited, but one task I can do (other than do more training than last year) is to try to find somewhere to test the bike in the UK. 
Ideally somewhere in between London and Manchester, 1.5 miles min, flat, straight (ie not Rockingham), ideally with a good surface.  Does anyone have any ideas, or have any contacts in UK aviation / RAF who may be able to help?
Thanks
Russ

Thoughts so far:
- Woodford Aerodrome in South Manchester (where Liverpool tested) is now a new housing estate
- the long straight at Darley moor is too short
Possibles:
- RAF Fairford nr Swindon?
- Keevil airfield, nr Trowbridge
- Colltishall Airfield, Norwich
- former RAF Cottesmore, nr Peterborough
- Maston Airport (closed) Ramsgate, Kent
- Elvington Airfield, nr York
- RAF Honington, Suffolk
- Bruntingthorpe, Leics
- Upper Heyford airfield, Banbury
- Wethersfield, essex
- JLR at Gaydon
- RAF Wyton, Cambridgeshire
- Bentwaters, Suffolk

I've not investigated any of them yet. 

Yanto View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2019 at 9:16pm
Russ, I don't have any direct contacts but being in the MOD I am able to look up contact details for OIC's outer offices.

I really think you will struggle for access to any operational airfields for obvious reason of traffic, plus security access will problematic unless you and the team have SC, in saying that there is always RAF Waddington (Lincoln) which has a 1.6 mile runway and also RAF Brize Norton (2 miles).

RAF Wyton is only operational for training flights of light aircraft, also there are USAF bases in Cambridgehire.

Kendrick Barracks (formally RAF Cottesmore) is used for track days so public access is allowed, runway is 1.6 miles.

RAF Wittering 1.6 mile runway just off the A1

What about BAE at Warton?

Edited by Yanto - 06 February 2019 at 9:29pm
russellbridge View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2019 at 10:48pm
Thanks Ian
I do have a contact at BAE - I hadn't thought of that
Russ
LWaB View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LWaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2019 at 7:41am
Looking in from left field -Speed limits don't apply to bicycles. How about a Fens road in the early morning or evening to minimise traffic? Plenty of long, straight, flat roads there and a couple of them even have good road surfaces.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
  Share Topic