BHPC Website Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public: Open to anyone > Wanted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting a new topic? Please try and put it in a relevant forum (Riding, Building, etc) but if you're not sure it's better to post in any forum than not to post at all.

Wanted - Recumbent for Charity Ride

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alastair84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wanted - Recumbent for Charity Ride
    Posted: 20 July 2018 at 10:02am
Dear everyone,

I've recently applied to make a trip to raise awareness and funds for CALM - the mental health / suicide prevention charity.

This is a subject dear to my heart having lost two friends to suicide.  

I am really hoping I could borrow / rent someones recumbent bicycle - almost anything but ideally an HP Velotechnik or something relatively sturdy / fast.

I would be so grateful as would the family and friends of all the young men C.A.L.M support.

My name is Alastair Edmonds.  I am 34, live in Peckham, parents near Salisbury.

My email is Alastair.Edmonds@gmail.com and my mobile 07500 602 857

Please get in touch if you think you might like to help!

Thank you and keep on riding :-)
AlanGoodman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2018 at 11:55am
Have you ridden recumbents before? When and how far are you cycling?

There are always recumbents for sale on Ebay - It might be worth looking at picking one up for your trip then selling it again afterwards (they hold their price well).
But once you have it you may well getthe bug and decide to hang on to it! Wink

Alastair84 View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alastair84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2018 at 12:18pm
Hi Alan,  great to hear from you.  

Yes, I've ridden a HP Grasshopper.  

Thanks very much for your advice.  Buying and selling is certainly an option but unfortunately the type of bike I'd like to attempt this record on would be out of my price range really as I am funding the cost of the trip myself.  

If you know of anyone that would be able / willing to lend their recumbent in support of a fantastic charity it would be hugely appreciated.  

The idea is to conduct interviews with mental health professionals along the route, edit down these conversations to podcast type length and publish them.

The aim is to bridge the gap in support between C.A.L.M's helpline and professional therapy which can be expensive. 

Any help from one and all greatly appreciated...
Alastair84 View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alastair84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2018 at 12:19pm
And, sorry, the trip is in total around 2k KM and aiming at middle of November :-)
MartinQS View Drop Down
Visitor (moderated)
Visitor (moderated)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinQS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2018 at 2:56pm
I think what you are doing is a great cause as i have been through it but as to someone lending you their exspencive recumbent is doubtful.As Alan said you might pick something of less value on ebay or gumtree saw a speed ross at 250 notes on their
Cheers
Martin
Trick Cyclist View Drop Down
BHPC Member
BHPC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trick Cyclist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2018 at 10:28pm
Why recumbent?

Geoff
Arellcat View Drop Down
Visitor (new)
Visitor (new)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arellcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2018 at 12:30pm
Perhaps the distance and/or pace Alastair has in mind is not conducive to using an upright bike.

Borrowing someone's pride and joy is as much about the risk of loss or damage as it is about changing the setup.  You might look to hire a recumbent bike, though, depending on how many days you anticipate your challenge taking.  Try contacting David at Laid Back Bikes; you might find he is willing to hire out a bike like a Nazca Fuego.
carbon Quest, Lightning P-38, RANS Sequoia, Kona Sutra, Orange Five, Elephant Bike, Brompton, Stumpjumper
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2018 at 12:35pm
That sounds like a good shout to me - Kevin at D-Tek would also be worth contacting as he may have a machine he would be able to hire.

D.TEK View Drop Down
Visitor (regular)
Visitor (regular)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D.TEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2018 at 12:02pm
Hire charges would soon mount up on a long trip £££££££Wink
and you never own it plus its time out not time used ….so the meter is always running Cry.
If you damage the machine you get hit with extra charges (just like car or van rental ) Shocked
How long do you need it .........….Not just the trip but prep days and training rides .
You could hardly collect and set off on the ride the next day !Confused
What can you do ……..buy used would be your best bet Smile……...or consider this idea .
For many years I have offered a Hire in Reverse and Safety Net scheme to approved customers ?
The bare bones …..you purchase outright so you avoid deposits and upfront hire charges 
But with a pre- agreed hire rate available at the end of the trip 
Use a credit card to spread the cost in the short term .
You can always keep it .........….Hurray Clap
or perhaps sell via the forums or Ebay or Gumtree 
less fees ....Ebay average 14% these days .Big smile
or
Call me to arrange a return
 I will return the purchase price less the "hire fee" without any fuss or bother .
Hope that helps …...Kevin D 

D.TEK HPVS purveyors of recumbent trikes and cycles
Admin Group
Admin Group
Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanGoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2018 at 12:05pm
Thumbs Up

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic